Lecturer - Visual Design
The College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics at Eastern Washington University invites applications for a Visual Design Lecturer within the department of Engineering & Design.
The successful candidate will offer:
- Expertise in illustration/animation, visual narrative/storytelling and graphic communication.
- Capability to teach at all levels of the undergraduate program and across diverse fields of design that include, but are not limited to, visual communication, typography, information design, systems design, interaction design, motion design, social design, graphic design history, writing and composition, visual storytelling, emergent design, and sustainable design.
All faculty are expected to actively participate in assessment of student learning and to engage in effective teaching.
Position is open until further notice; screening will begin June 17, 2019. Submit your application materials through our online faculty applications portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resource Services, Lori Livingstone, at (509) 359-6931. All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern's Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
- Bachelors degree with relevant industry experience, or an MFA or MDes in Visual Design or related field;
- To be considered qualifying, your degree and/or experience must include emphasis in illustration/animation, visual narrative/storytelling, and/or graphic communication;
- Strong interest in teaching and developing visual design courses that include project-based learning, creative problem solving, and community-based design;
- Excellent communication skills to meet the needs of our diverse student body.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff and the public.
- Either a bachelors degree with 5 + years relevant industry experience, or an MFA or MDes with 2 + years relevant experience in Visual Design or related field, with an emphasis in illustration/animation, visual narrative/storytelling, and/or graphic communication;
- At least 1 year of teaching experience;
- Strong foundational understanding of formal design principles, design processes and technologies, and creative problem defining and solving skills;
- Proficient with industry-standard software such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and able to produce high-quality, computer-based design, layout, and illustration;
- Experience with basic animation and coding;
- Interested in working collaboratively with colleagues across disciplines; working with nonprofits, government agencies and companies on collaborative courses and projects.