Laboratory Machinist Specialist Lead
Laboratory Machinist Specialist Lead
Job Number: 83519
Job Classification Code: 6493
Pay Range: A45
Exemption Classification: Non-exempt
Job Series Summary:
This series of job classifications describes positions in which a variety of laboratory-related mechanical work is performed. This work is primarily focused on the machining of components for research systems and equipment but may also include other tasks related to the fabrication, construction, repair, installation, modification, operation and maintenance of machine tools used in laboratories. There are three levels in each series, comprised of two separate specialties: Laboratory Machinist and Experimental Machinist. They are differentiated on the basis of the complexity of the work performed; the speed, skill and independence with which work is carried out; and the extent of leadership responsibility.
The duties listed under the Characteristic Duties section are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and/or responsibilities associated with the job. They are not intended to be a complete list of all the duties performed by employees in the classification.
The Department of Physics is seeking an experienced machinist to lead a machining team whose work is primarily focused on the machining of components for research systems and equipment but may also include other tasks related to the fabrication, construction, repair, installation, modification, operation and maintenance of machine tools used in laboratories. Machining occurs in the machine shop which is physically located in the Physics Department, but services research across all of Stanford University.
The duties listed under the Characteristic Duties section are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and/or responsibilities associated with the job. They are not intended to be a complete list of all the duties performed by employees in the job classification.
- Under minimum supervision, these employees lead and give direction to other Laboratory Machinists., and perform highly skilled work at the Laboratory Machinist Specialist level in the machining, design, fabrication, repair, modification, installation, operation and maintenance of one-of-a-kind research apparatus and equipment.
- Laboratory Machinist Lead receive jobs from customers and estimate cost and time to complete jobs; and schedule, assign, and explain work assignments.
- This classification monitors work progress, and inspects work for conformance to specifications. They must be able to identify and advise researchers of problems, and check to see that safety rules are followed.
- Employees at this level do not have supervisory authority over other employees and are not expected to exercise independent judgment on final decisions regarding quality or quantity of work produced by such employees, or personnel actions such as hiring, promotion, discharge or disciplinary measures.
The duties listed under this section are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and/or responsibilities associated with the job. They are not intended to be a complete list of all the duties performed by employees in the classification.
- Perform high-precision machining for one-of-a-kind research apparatus
- Lead and give direction to other Machinists.
- Assign and explain tasks to workers based on instructions specifications received from supervisor.
- Inspect work for conformance with specifications.
- Train employees to meet quality and quantity standards.
- Advise supervisor of work progress.
- Promote adherence to safety rules.
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
Journey level knowledge equivalent to four years completion in an apprentice program, which may include vocational school, and six years on the job experience or a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
- Laboratory Machinist Specialist Lead has all of the qualifications described in the Laboratory Machinist Specialist specification plus the following qualifications:
- Skilled in the tasks they direct and be able to effectively answer questions and solve task-related problems.
- Must be able to follow verbal and/or written instructions and communicate those instructions to others.
- Demonstrated ability to lead other workers.
Certificates and Licenses Required:
- Valid California Non-commercial Class C Driver's license.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial Class C license.
- Frequently stand/walk, perform seated work, operate special machine, mills, lathes, CNC machines, forklift etc., hoist and crane and lock and Tag machines.
- Constant light /fine grasping (files, tools).
- Occasionally Kneel/Crawl, perform desk based computer tasks, twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach /work above shoulders, grasp forcefully, Lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 11-20 pounds, and operate foot and/or hand controls.
- Rarely climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other), scrub /sweep /mop, use a telephone, write by hand, sort/file paperwork or parts. Lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 21-40, or >40 pounds.
- Visually/physically evaluate small parts see and touch to check condition.
- Required to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Required to wear appropriate clothing.
- When conducting university business, must comply with the California Vehicle Code and Stanford University driving requirements.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/and the appropriate collective bargaining agreement a https://cardinalatwork.stanford.edu/hr-processes-policies/labor-relations-collective-bargaining
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 6496
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A45
- Requisition ID: 83519
Location: School of Humanities and Sciences, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency