Accountant - HERS
Make a difference! Higher Education Resource Services (HERS) seeks to hire a talented, motivated, self-directed, team-oriented individual with excellent accounting and data skills to serve in the position of accountant.
HERS is a dynamic and independent non-profit dedicated to creating and sustaining a community of women leaders through various strategies with a special focus in higher education. HERS alumnae include over 6,000 women on approximately 1,200 campuses in the U.S., as well women from institutions in Canada, South Africa, Uganda, Nigeria and other nations. HERS is located on the campus of and affiliated with the University of Denver.
The Accountant will use their knowledge and expertise in accounting, budget and business practices to support the financial and organizational operations of HERS. The incumbent to this position will play a role in data collection and reporting to support business decision making and research. The Accountant reports to the Director of Finance and Operations and supports the HERS team.
The Accountant is responsible for the daily and monthly recording of financial activity including accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll. The monthly reconciliations of bank and investment accounts. Collection activities related to accounts receivable and management of functional office activities. The Accountant is responsible for the utilization and expansion of the use of technology for improved organization wide efficiencies.
The Accountant will continually review business operations and implement processes to improve efficiency and reduce expenses. He/she will develop organization best practices related to purchasing and participant registration and review existing and develop new vendor contracts including monitoring of adherence to the contracts.
The Accountant will collect and manage data so that it can be used to analyze business functions, productivity and redundancies, as well as develop organizational metrics to monitor business functions.
- Utilize QuickBooks to accurately maintain all general ledger accounts.
- Prepare and make deposits and cash disbursements.
- Process and track accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Coordinate participant invoicing and payments.
- Maintain all vendor and participant records.
- Monthly reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts.
- Track contributions and prepare receipts.
- Comply with required filings and postings by local, state, and federal agencies for corporate licensure and management.
- Prepare materials for annual financial audit.
- Ensure that all funds, physical assets, and property of HERS are appropriately inventoried and safeguarded.
- Continually review HERS business operations and implement processes to improve efficiency and reduce expenses.
- Maintain office equipment, vendor contracts and licenses, and ensure compliance with the terms of those agreements.
- Provide support and training to staff, office and Institute, related to phone, computer systems, and other technology.
Data management and analysis
- Together with the Director of Finance and Operations, develop and maintain organizational metrics and reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in basic principles and underlying guidelines of accounting, fiscal management and financial reporting.
- Analytical mindset with problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Self-motivated, inquisitive
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Bachelors degree in accounting, finance, business or related field.
- Two years experience in business or administration, to include experience in financial management.
- Two years experience in full accounting function utilizing QuickBooks or similar accounting software.
- Masters degree or graduate coursework.
- Experience working within higher education.
- Five years experience in organizational management, preferably with a non-profit organization.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) July 1, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.