Dean of Graduate Studies and Research
Department: Academic Affairs
Recruitment #: S1942
Closing Date: Review begins immediately. Position open until filled
This is a full-time, 12-month, annually renewable, unclassified position in the Graduate Studies and Research office at Western Oregon University (WOU) in Monmouth. Western Oregon University (WOU) seeks a dynamic, collaborative, and transformational leader to serve as the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research to be responsible for administrative and financial oversight of this office. This is an administrative position and the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research reports to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs.
The Graduate Office is the coordinating office for all matters related to graduate-level studies at WOU. The Graduate Office’s mission is to provide services and support to manage graduate programs and to oversee the personal and academic development of the graduate-student community. The office works with academic units to monitor and administer financial support for graduate students including graduate assistantships.
WOU’s Sponsored Projects Office assists faculty and professional research staff in their efforts to secure and ensure proper stewardship of external funding. This office is responsible for the effective and timely handling of faculty and staff research proposals, specifically for preparing, interpreting, negotiating, and developing agreements for projects funded by state and federal agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources. The office also provides financial post-award support.
Desired Attributes and Personal Qualities
WOU is looking for a Dean of Graduate Studies and Research who embodies the following attributes and personal qualities:
• Attentive to the WOU campus; provides practical leadership and collaboration on campus (e.g., engage when campus starts new initiatives, articulate where the Graduate Studies and Sponsored Projects office fits in and where we need resources to help programs succeed).
• Demonstrates commitment to diversity in serving the WOU campus; is aware of and committed to issues of equality and equity appropriate to WOU (e.g., understanding financial characteristics of WOU students, the digital divide, first generation college students).
• Promotes a positive and engaged work environment that is respectful of employees, with equitable support for employee development in order to grow the Graduate Studies and Sponsored Projects unit.
• Commitment to transparency in budgetary issues and thought processes in making decisions.
• Accessible with an inclination to maintain an open-door policy and a willingness to listen to various voices within Graduate Studies and Research.
• Evidence of active participation in professional development, professional associations, and public service.
• Doctorate in field of study
• Experience advancing diversity, inclusion, and equity in higher education
• Understanding of issues within higher education, graduate programs, research, and sponsored projects
• Demonstrated knowledge of current and future trends in graduate education and enrollment management
• Experience managing graduate programs
• Experience with strategic planning, outcomes development, and assessment
• Experience with administrative, fiscal, and personnel management
• Superior interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated success in progressively high leadership roles
• Experience developing and managing grant awards
• Demonstrated success in successful grant writing/fundraising
• History of successful scholarship and grant activity
• Financial acumen and experience establishing internal and external relationships that have supported graduate programs and/or sponsored projects activities
• Knowledge of Institutional Review Boards and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees.
• Experience with electronic grant proposal systems • Experience as lead investigator in grant-funded work
• Experience working in interdisciplinary teams
**A criminal background check will be required as a condition of employment
We are not considering candidates who require Visa sponsorship support. Additionally, the University typically only considers visa support for employees placed in specialized positions that are continuing regular University appointments.
• Develop and effectively manage budget and resources
• Exercise a strong academic administrative leadership in a shared governance context to plan, develop, and administer all aspects of the Graduate Studies and Sponsored Projects programs, activities, and personnel
• Provide leadership in maintaining the highest academic standards and working closely with faculty, staff, and student leaders to provide quality educational programs
• Review proposals for new and modified program and course proposals
• Facilitate the development and maintenance of university policies that are related to graduate studies and grant related activities
• Ensure adequate resources and programs are available to support the continued professional development of faculty and staff members
• Prepare reports on academic issues and trends, including enrollments, and use relevant data for academic programs, staffing, and facility needs
• Serve as a member of Academic Affairs Executive Team and in shared governance with University committees
• Establish policies, processes, and best practices in pre- and post-award management that comply with professional, and university industry standards
• Manage personnel issues within the unit while complying with both WOUFT and SEIU Collective Bargaining Agreements
• Manage Center Directors as to ensure that external funding granted to the Centers will follow institutional structure, and that any generated returned overhead will be distributed according to WOU policies
Strategic Implementation and Alignment
• Lead the development and implementation of of University strategic plans at the unit level
• Explore new models in graduate education that will develop new revenue streams and provide assistantships to graduate students
• Provide oversight for the development of new programs and the continued growth of current programs
• Pursue opportunities to grow external funding in the forms of grants, endowments, and scholarships from private and public sources to support University initiatives to increase research productivity Customer Service
• Represent Graduate Studies and Sponsored Projects with internal and external constituencies
• Collaborate with other campus leaders for the advancement and promotion of graduate studies and sponsored projects
• Lead efforts to attract and retain grant opportunities to the University
• Oversee and manage indirect cost sharing policies and procedures
You may submit all materials online at www.wou.edu/prostaffapp
Required Application materials (PDF preferred):
1) WOU Employment Application form (available at www.wou.edu/prostaffapp)
2) Letter of application that addresses each qualification of the position. Please include how your experience, education, and/or training might help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community.
4) Contact information for three references
5) Copy of unofficial transcript for highest degree earned
As an alternative, you may submit application materials to:
S1894, Dean, GS&R, Human Resources, Western Oregon University, 345 N. Monmouth Avenue,
Monmouth, OR 97361; OR e-mail to [email protected]; OR fax to: 503-838-8144.
Western Oregon University is a public institution that was founded in 1856 in a rural setting with a campus size of 157 acres. It serves approximately 5000 undergraduate offering bachelor’s (four-year) degrees – bachelor of science, bachelor of arts, bachelor of music and bachelor of fine arts and 600 graduate students with graduate programs, advanced baccalaureates, and pre-professional tracks.
As the first public institution of higher education established in Oregon, we uphold an enduring commitment to the value of teaching and learning. Our academic and co-curricular activities enhance the economic, cultural and intellectual vitality of our region and the larger world. To serve the greater good, we educate individuals in an accessible and supportive environment. Our students enjoy a personalized experience in a comprehensive, mid-sized public university. Western Oregon University empowers its students, employees and alumni to lead meaningful, responsible lives. WOU is comprised of a diverse student population and serves a large number of first generation students.
Western Oregon University is an AA/EO/Veteran/Disability employer committed to increasingthe diversity of its workforce.
Apply for Dean of Graduate Studies and Research
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly