Microbiology Faculty Position - Department of Basic Sciences - California Northstate University College of Medicine, Elk Grove, California, USA
Title: Assistant/Associate Professor of Microbiology/Cell Biology
Classification: Faculty, 1.0 FTE, Exempt
Supervisor: Chair, Department of Basic Sciences
Education: MD, PhD, or Equivalent
Salary Range: $85,000 - $180,000 annually depending on classification
The Microbiology faculty member is a non-tenured position responsible for the education in Pre-doctoral didactic and/or translational educational programs. This position participates and assists the Department Chair and faculty colleagues in the planning, directing, and implementation of college of medicine programs and assists in the development and teaching of curricula that integrates the different specialty areas in a team-based, large and small group learning environments.
The responsibilities for this position will include all of the following: serving the academic mission of the Department in teaching medical students, performing scholarly activities, and providing institutional service. In addition, other responsibilities may include student advising, student recruitment, retention, and placement efforts.
Obligations of the Assistant/Associate Professor: The information provided below is a general description of the Assistant/Associate Professor’s responsibilities; it is not intended to provide an all-inclusive list of responsibilities.
- Teaching - Teach in didactic preclinical and/or course material taught by the Department in assigned courses for years 1 - 2. Teach in any assigned courses or act as a course director, if assigned. Responsibilities include time spent in the classroom and in immediate preparation for them; maintaining and improving competence in subjects being taught; preparing teaching materials; conferring with students on course materials; directing individual and group studies and practice; reviewing written examinations and papers. Working closely with other faculty to develop and implement innovative and interactive presentations of the curriculum, professional peer review and professional development are essential features of effective teaching.
- Advising - Student advising to include time spent meeting with students regarding academic, curricular and career matters. Participation in student mentoring in preparation for examinations including licensing board exams.
- Research - Assisting in the planning and development of research programs and the allocation of resources to support such research. Supervision of student participation in departmental research endeavors.
- Service – Participating in courses/lectures/workshops to meet the curricular needs of the department to include: course structure and content, course preparation, written course materials, lecture, workshop and lab presentations, course quizzes, exams, course evaluations and course faculty evaluations. Service on the departmental governing bodies and committees. Use academic and professional expertise to serve your profession and the community.
- Work, as assigned by the Department Chair.
- Participating in faculty development sessions and department/institutional meetings.
- Representing CNUCOM in a positive and productive manner in areas assigned by the Department Chair and/or the Dean. The faculty member will possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Maintaining professional literacy in academic field.
- Develop familiarity and adherence to CNUCOM’s bylaws, rules, regulations, administrative and academic practices, policies and procedures as set forth in documents such as the Faculty Handbook, CNUCOM’s Code of Ethical Conduct.
- Participation in committees and prospective medical student interviews as assigned by the Dean.
- Demonstrating commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion outlined in the bylaws and charters.
- Participating in and successfully complete all CNUCOM required training including, but not limited to discrimination/harassment, safety, and code of conduct.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills (e.g., with students, faculty, etc.)
- Commitment to professional excellence
Criteria for Appointment:
- MD, PhD, or EdD.
- A substantial record of success as an educator with experience in teaching foundational concepts which are relevant to medical education. Preferred candidates shall have teaching experience in an academic setting.
- Knowledge of instructional technologies is desirable.
- Experience with curricular and instructional design and training or experience in educational theory and/or evaluation preferred.
- Experience using innovative teaching methods which might include team-based learning, problem-based learning, interactive large group presentation, audience response systems, and curriculum delivery systems.
- A history of exceptional scholarly, professional and/or individual achievement
CNUCOM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of, race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. CNUCOM also encourages applications from women and veterans.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. For full consideration, candidates should provide curriculum vitae/resume with at least three references. All candidates are asked to provide a cover letter, articulating how their knowledge, experience, and beliefs have prepared them to function in support of California Northstate University's vision and mission statements.
Please submit your cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of references, and any additional information to the HR Department. Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until positions are filled.
California Northstate is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. For inquiries, please contact us by email or telephone: (916) 686-7400.