Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Program Administrator Department Bioengineering Full Time/Part Time Full-Time Requisition Number S19679 Open Date 06/14/2019 Close Date 07/08/2019 Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.Benefits Eligible Yes Eligible for Overtime No Position Summary
The Program Administrator will provide advanced administrative support and management for the Global Medical Innovation (GMI) graduate degree program and other degree programs within the Department of Bioengineering.
This person should demonstrate initiative, resourcefulness, and problem-solving skills in applying detailed knowledge of responsibilities, functions and the underlying management structure of human resources, and office management.
The chosen candidate will serve as the first point of contact for the academic program, and of the larger academic enterprise in organizing and prioritizing work, establishing procedures and systems and ensuring the orderly and timely flow of business through the office.Education Required Bachelor's Degree Major/Discipline Substitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred Experience Required 3 years Type of Experience
Administrative office experience.Substitution for Experience Requirement
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- Previous administrative experience for a department with over 20 employees and the ability to coordinate domestic and international travel logistics for groups of 20 or more at a time
- Previous experience working in higher education
- Ability to develop and initiate new strategies
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage projects simultaneously
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Strong data analysis skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Adept at problem solving, creating contingency plans and handling issues when necessary
- Strong client service orientation and attention to detail
- Ability to develop complex or multiple program partnerships and funding sources
- Ability to oversee and direct staff
- Knowledge of managing budgets and developing financial plans
- Spoken and written Spanish and Portuguese
- Ability to communicate cross-culturally
- Ability to develop and maintain website, brochures, and fliers
- Knowledge of databases, surveys and spreadsheets
Within the University: Frequent contact with Rice Faculty, staff and students.
Outside the University: Frequent and close contact with foreign counterparts, program participants, staff members of co-sponsoring associations, organizations, and businesses.Physical Demands
Requires working at a computer for extended periods. Must be able to move event-related materials to and from event sites. Must be able to lift and carry 10 lb (plus) boxes. Must be able to get to other campus offices or event sites.Working Conditions
Normal 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday-Friday 40-hour work week.
Occasional weekend and evening work for special events.
May have long periods using the computer.
- Administers program operations, ensuring efficient, effective and productive operations
- Creates and implements plans to achieve program objectives and mission
- Interprets, implements, and ensures compliance with policies and regulations and recommends changes to procedures and processes
- Analyzes data, identifies trends, develops reports and recommends and implements changes to improve alignment with institutional mission and goals
- Creates and implements outreach plans that may include relationship development, communications, event and conference management
- Provides support in developing relationships with internal and external entities
- May assist with fundraising activities
- Creates budget plans, monitors and approves expenditures, develops reports, conducts analyses and manages and maintains financial records
- For academic programs, may be responsible for graduate student recruitment and admissions, student records, curriculum support, coordinating the accreditation process, managing scholarships and fellowships, and monitoring student progress
- May supervise small staff (up to three full time staff)
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Manages the program’s operating funds to ensure adequate funding throughout the fiscal year and compliance with university policies and procedures
- Works with the GMI Director and their personnel to ensure smooth processing of expenditures and reimbursements from departmental and research funds
- Produces financial reports and reconciles financial transactions on a monthly basis
- Processes and monitors expenses associated with the program, including supply orders, PCard reallocations, IDTs, travel and expense reimbursements, etc.
- Assists with BIOE department events as needed (e.g. collect applications, notify travel awardees, process expenses for conferences and other potential recruiting events, as well as providing additional staff support when needed)
- Plans and manages logistical arrangements for program meetings and events locally, nationally and internationally including travel, housing and transportation and event coordination
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have three years of administrative office experience or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
- * Are you proficient in Microsoft office? (as part of the interview process, you will be required to take an office proficiency assessment)
- * Have you provided administrative support to at least 20 individuals at the same time?
- * Do you have previous experience in managing budgetary processes and operations?