Responsible for skilled maintenance of grass, plants, and trees, including determining and applying treatment to unhealthy plants.Description of Duties
• To care for grass, plants, and trees and maintain equipment used.
• Mows grass, trims shrubs, sprays plants, water plants, transplants a large variety of plants and trees, works in the greenhouse, and maintains grounds.
• Operates and prepares grounds care equipment.
• Operates and makes minor repairs on variety of equipment, and provides technical assistance within area of responsibility.
• Performs other duties as assigned.Supervision Received
General direction from the assigned supervisor.Supervision Given
Completion of the 6th grade. Ability to read and write English well enough to comprehend Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) on chemicals, and other containers, and to understand work orders, complete time cards, and receive oral and written work directions.Preferred Education
Valid Texas driver’s license or ability to obtain within six (6) weeks of hiring.Required Experience
Six (6) months of experience in the care of plants, trees, and lawns and the knowledge of the operation of grounds equipment.Preferred Experience
Skill in the operation and of tractors, cultivators, hedgers, power mowers, trucks and other equipment used in grounds maintenance.Working Conditions
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Exposure to weather, hazardous mechanical equipment, and agricultural chemicals. Exposure to outside environments, hot, dry, wet, cold; some work in restricted spaces, exposure to dust and dirt, some duties and working conditions may create bodily strain and discomfort.Other
Must be physically able to perform duties described above. May occasionally lift heavy objects weighing up to 100 lbs. with or without assistance. Duties involve the lifting, pushing, and moving of heavy objects; digging, stooping, crawling, climbing, reaching, and other manual activities requiring great physical exertion. Danger of hazards and conditions inherent to the trade or assignment. This position will be subject to a pre-employment physical.Physical Capabilities
N/AEmployment Category Full-Time Minimum Salary Commensurate with Experience Posted Salary Commensurate with Experience Position Available Date 05/17/2019 Grant Funded Position No If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date Posting Detail Information EEO Statement
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.Special Instructions to Applicants
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956)665-8880 and/or [email protected]Additional Information
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.Quick Link http://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/21220 Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a current UTRGV employee?
- * Are you now, or previously, employed by The University of Texas System or any of its institutions?
- Yes - I currently am employed by the UT System or its institutions
- Yes - I have previously been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- No - I have never been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- * Please select your highest level of completed education.
- 6th grade education
- 10th grade education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree, Technical, or Trade School Degree/Certification or 60 Hours of College Hours
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited university
- Masters Degree from an accredited university
- Ph. D. or other terminal degree from an accredited university
- None of the above
- * Please provide the field of study for your education:
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate the number of years of full time work experience you have directly related to the position in which you are applying for:
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 7 years
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years
- Over 10 years
- * Do you meet the minimum requirements for this position?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Certifications and Licenses
- Training Certificates
- Other Document
- List of 3 References
- Unofficial Transcripts 2
- Unofficial Transcripts 3
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Graduate Transcripts
- Additional Document