Student Support Advisor
Position Title: Student Support Advisor
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in Counseling, Social Work, Student Development, Higher Education or related field preferred. Experience with diverse populations, strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills, computer literacy and critical thinking abilities required.Three to five years of related work experience in a community college required.
Experience in a college or university setting working directly with students, knowledge of student development, career counseling, advising, and case management experience preferred.
Provides students with a single point of contact to create a seamless pathway for student success from pre-boarding to completion. Works as part of a team providing individual academic, career, financial, and related support to an assigned group of students as they progress through their educational journey. Works collaboratively with faculty mentors by discipline to ensure a smooth guided pathway for students and connects students to needed college resources along the way. The primary focus of this role will be to assist students with the two interior pillars of Guided Pathways; Getting on the Path and Staying on the Path.MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meets with students to deliver comprehensive enrollment, advisement, career and support services to an assigned group of students based by schools through degree completion; Regularly collaborates with faculty, college staff, and all student support offices as needed to support student success, including but not limited to, goal setting, future planning, early student alerts, academic coaching and intervention, and just in time supports;Case manages students assigned by keeping accurate records on each student encounter in an agreed upon system;In collaboration with the Directors of Holistic Student Support and the team, develop and implement a consistent annual calendar of tasks and touch points with students to ensure student success;Review student progress throughout each semester for all assigned students recommending appropriate referrals and support services to keep them on track towards their goals;A broad band of competencies will be developed and maintained, such as but not limited to, Clifton Strengths, Motivational Interviewing, Career Coach, and the needs of special populations;
- Maintains up to date information on any new or curriculum changes within the school assigned;
- Collaborates with Academic Affairs, Directors of Holistic Student Support, Center for Corporate and Community Education and with local economic development agencies for relevant workforce development initiatives including, but not limited to College in the Workplace, or collaborates with Academic Affairs to support the development of transfer pathways;
- Uses various technology resources, including but not limited to, Starfish, Degree Works, ARGOS, OnBase, Banner, Career Coach and Zoom to connect, advise or guide students;
- In collaboration with the Directors of Holistic Student Support and the team, develop and implement assessment methods to evaluate student processes and student satisfaction;
- Performs other duties related to the job description and as assigned by the Director of Holistic Student Support.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
MVCC does not discriminate. MVCC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MVCC offers a comprehensive employee enrichment program. Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 7/15/2019
Review of applications will begin on the review start date and will continue until successful candidates have been identified.