College Advisor - Transfer Focus (lte 6/30/20)
Position SummaryWestern Technical College is a preferred employer in the 7 Rivers Region. We are looking for individuals who are passionate about helping others learn and are dedicated to serving students. If you are a motivated individual who can contribute to excellence in teaching and learning, please consider this employment opportunity at Western.
SUMMARY OF POSITION: This is a one-year, project based, grant-funded position intended to develop sustainable processes for the Associate of Science Liberal Arts (ASLA) students of Western Technical College to successfully complete their degree and/or transfer goals. This position is part of the College Advising team, works within a comprehensive retention system designed around a student-centered relationship owner model, assesses individual students' plans (academic and non-academic) and determines appropriate interventions to address barriers to their educational success.
This is a limited term benefit eligible position with an end date of 6/30/2020 Essential Functions 1. Maintain and uphold the College values of Learning, Excellence, Accountability, Diversity, Student Success, Teamwork, Integrity, and Respect. Regular attendance is required.
2. Perform office function's which may include, but are not limited to: respond to internal/external customers and staff; create and modify documents, records, and reports using College standard software; maintain hard copy and/or electronic filing system; monitor inventory and budget information; schedule, coordinate, and prepare materials for meetings and/or appointments.
3. Complete all required College training and responsible for maintaining the skills necessary to complete the essential functions of the position as defined by the department.
4. Student Success is the cornerstone of Western's culture and the college may assign employees as needed to other areas or additional duties to foster this success.
5. Project Development - Support Action/Task May Include:
- Work independently to create materials to guide students through navigation of the Associate of Science Liberal Arts program and meta-major selection.
- Research best practices regarding meta-majors within the Associate of Science Liberal Arts/Associate of Arts programs at other Wisconsin Technical College System institutions.
- Collaborate with Advising team, General Studies Faculty, General Studies Dean and Associate Dean, and the Career Services team to develop best practices for ASLA students at Western.
- Collaborate with local transfer colleges to develop practical pathways to improve the ease and successful transition of Western ASLA students to four-year colleges.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Access Services to plan and develop skill-building workshops for at-risk students
- Work in collaboration with the deans, division staff, faculty, and student services staff to promote, facilitate and ensure seamless, student-centered service, and individual student success
- Determine appropriate academic or non-academic interventions based on individual student presenting issue
- Assist students in resolving any holds or institutional barriers that are impacting their success
- Work collaboratively with Western staff to implement and maintain a comprehensive relationship owner model designed to enhance retention for all students
- Engage in personal coaching sessions and refer to the appropriate on-campus and external resources.
- Utilize the established coaching model practices with all student interactions.
- Interpret and provide rationale for college policies, procedures, and requirements
- Discuss and reinforce linkages and relationships between instruction program and occupation/career
- Utilize the CRM student retention system to track all facets of student success
- Determine student needs for services and maintain a specified overall retention rate for all students on caseload
- Analyze retention and data to identify trends and potential solutions
- Compile data and generate reports and prepare documentation for individual student records
- Assess student needs. Develop and implement individualized student plans
- Provide on-going support to students in accordance with the needs and strategies identified within the plan
- Continually monitor academic progress of assigned students and collaborate with faculty and staff to provide early and timely interventions
- Develop new resources for students based on individual need
- Bachelor's Degree OR
- Education combined with appropriate occupational experience in related field totaling 7 yrs. (14,000 hrs.) OR
- Occupational experience in related field totaling 7 yrs. (14,000 hrs.)
- Master's degree preferred. Preference will be given to those with a degree in counseling (career, personal, or community), student affairs, social work or human service field.
- 2 years preferred in related field
Starting salary range based on education and experience: $21.05 - $26.31
This is a limited term benefit eligible position with an end date of 6/30/2020
This position would include competitive salary, excellent benefits including medical, dental, WRS, Employee Wellness Programs and more.
Applicant review will begin: July 1, 2019
Start Date of: August 2019
Copies of Transcripts from regionally accredited colleges or universities are acceptable during the application process (originals will be required upon hire)
Western is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Our mission is to provide relevant, high quality education in a collaborative and sustainable environment that changes the lives of students and grows our communities. Western is committed to providing a safe and respectful workplace for all employees.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Employer And Educator
Western Technical College is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. Reasonable accommodation will be provided in the job application process to enable a qualified applicant to have an equal opportunity to be considered for a job as is provided to all Western employees. If you want to request an accommodation please contact the EEO/AA Compliance Officer at (608)785-9274.