Lecturer - Chemistry
Posting DetailsPosting Details Working TitleLecturer - ChemistryPosting Number2019017FP Position Information Classification TitleLecturerClassification Code8209RCW Exemption Criteria10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position NumberF99338CUPA Code40.05 - ChemistryFLSAExempt - TeachingBargaining Unit UFE% Full Time100%Salary / Wage RangeCUPASalary Information
DOE/DOQAnticipated Start Date09/16/2019Term of Appointment9 months per academic yearLocationCheney CampusCountySpokaneProject Description
n/aProject Durationn/aBackground CheckYes - Both Department Information Level 1 User with AccessSherry MowattResponsible HR UserLori LivingstoneResponsible HR User Email [email protected] (inquiries only) Posting Text Job Summary
The College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics at Eastern Washington University invites applications for a Lecturer position in the Department of Chemistry/Biochemistry to begin September 2019. The department of Chemistry/Biochemistry offers BA and BS degrees in Chemistry/Biochemistry, as well as a BAE degree for Chemistry Teachers.
Responsibilities include teaching introductory chemistry, general chemistry, and/or GOB chemistry, and other courses depending on departmental needs and applicant expertise.
Position is open until further notice; screening will begin June 27, 2019. Submit your application materials through our online faculty applications portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resource Services, Lori Livingstone, at (509)359-693.
All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
Optional: if you wish to receive a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the job, then please contact the Office of Human Resources at [email protected] or via phone to 509-359-6931.Physical Demands
NonePre-Placement Physical NoHearing Test NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire NoProtective Equipment
Eye and face protection, nitrile glovesRequired Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry;
- Demonstrated interest and potential for excellence in teaching general chemistry and an area of specialization;
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff and the public
- Ph.D. in Chemistry
- Experience teaching both general chemistry and GOB chemistry
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter in response to course schedule.Posting Date06/04/2019Open Until Further NoticeNoClosing DateScreening to Begin06/17/2019Special Instructions to Applicants
To be assured full consideration, your application must be complete and submitted through the online portal by the screening date located at: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu.
Applications must include:
- Letter of application that addresses each of the key responsibilities and qualifications of the position (both required and preferred);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public;
- Copies of both your undergraduate and graduate transcripts (attach to links labeled Other Document #1 and Other Document #1 and Other Document #2);
- At least two confidential letters of reference are also required; when you complete the online application, you will be prompted to enter the names, email addresses and other information for your recommenders. Once you finalize your application, the applicant system will automatically send an email to your recommenders, including a link allowing your recommenders to upload the confidential letters of recommendation directly into the system and attach them to your online application. All recommendations must be received prior to campus interview.
All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.Job Duties % of Time100Responsibility / Duty
Teaching: Typical workload for this position will involve 45 credits per academic year, subject to department needs
Teaching includes the following additional related responsibilities as defined in the faculty CBA
- Meet all scheduled classes
- Plan, organize and inform students of the course content, texts, readings, assignments, attendance regulations and methods of evaluation including grading scales
- Schedule and attend office hours
- Turn in grades according to established deadlines
Additionally, all faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of student learning.Essential Function IndicatorYesPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Diversity Response
- Other Document #1
- Other Document #2
- DD214 Form