Job #6987 Marketing and Communications Specialist (Public Affairs/Communications Specialist III) - O
Job Title: Marketing and Communications Specialist (Public Affairs/Communications Specialist III) - Office of Housing Administration
Location: San Diego Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 6987
San Diego State University is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of historically underrepresented groups.
Initial review of applications will begin on July 5, 2019. To receive full consideration, apply by July 4, 2019. The position will remain open until filled. The online application should be completed in detail. Completion of the online application is required for consideration; a resume alone will not suffice.
For more information on San Diego State University, please click here.
This is a full-time (1.0 time-base), benefits eligible, permanent (probationary) position. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist is a member of the Office of Housing Administration team. In conjunction with the Director, Associate Directors, other managers, staff, and students, this position assists in carrying out the mission, vision, and values, of the Office of Housing Administration and is responsible for supporting and contributing to an atmosphere that facilitates respect, inclusivity, collaboration, and growth.
Under the general direction of, and reporting to the Director of the Office of Housing Administration (OHA), the Marketing and Communications (MarCom) Specialist is responsible for independent performance of the day-to-day communication activities for OHA. The incumbent oversees design of all OHA, Residential Education Office and Housing Facilities Services marketing materials including but not limited to: creating, designing and updating OHA marketing content and collateral via marketing channels (e.g., print, radio, newsletters, web, social media, etc.).
In support of OHA’s mission the MarCom Specialist will develop metrics, conduct analyses, and report on progress and value of the marketing and social media efforts; oversee marketing content; oversee content production including photography and videography and manage digital archives of photography/videography.
The MarCom Specialist will develop and design marketing content via OHA’s web and mobile marketing presence. This MarCom Specialist will oversee web marketing and search engine marketing. In addition, the appointee will use created content to optimize OHA’s website for search engines; and revise website content as necessary. This MarCom Specialist will lead redesign efforts on behalf of OHA. The MarCom Specialist will help ensure consistency of messaging and voice across all media channels. This professional will be responsible for helping to develop and bring our brand to life through the varied communication channels and marketing collateral including but not limited to e-newsletters, marketing campaigns, public relations, and external and internal communications. The incumbent will collaborate with and support the efforts of various college content providers to ensure that OHA's communications content is consistent with the mission and strategic initiatives of OHA and University.
This position performs "essential functions" and is required to report to the Director by phone before coming to campus during the year.
For more information regarding Office of Housing Administration, please click here.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary upon appointment not expected to exceed $5,250 per month. CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,104 - $7,209 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here.
Knowledge of the fundamentals of public affairs and/or media relations, and/or some exposure to marketing and marketing research. This background normally is obtained through a college degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field, and up to two years of related professional or technical experience. In addition, strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication vehicles are essential to initial entry to this classification.
Preferred Qualifications and Specialized Skills
- Experience creating and maintaining websites including interactive, web-based information systems, marketing and social media.
- Mac operating system experience.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation; be able to communicate clearly orally and in writing; and be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to develop themed marketing campaigns.
- Ability to establish and meet multiple deadlines.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize varied tasks, set deadlines and complete projects accordingly.
- Ability to solve a wide range of problems and develop solutions.
- Able to work independently while keeping Director fully informed.
- Knowledge of service capabilities of university agencies, auxiliaries and departments.
- Knowledge of scheduling procedures, logistical coordination, attention to detail.
- Knowledge of training techniques and ability to transmit skills to staff.
- Thorough knowledge of standards of service in the hospitality industry and the relationship of same in a university setting.
- Knowledge of University housing, and University resources.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, listening skills, and attention to detail.
- Sensitivity to needs and concerns of diverse groups of students, understanding of issues for students in their transition to University life.
- Demonstrated skills in development of written hard copy and electronic materials for publication.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision and set priorities in an often changing environment.
- Ability to develop logical solutions to problems, to demonstrate flexibility and to compromise.
- Organizational ability; the ability to work on several projects at once and the ability to meet deadlines and to work under pressure while troubleshooting and making on-the-spot decisions.
- Ability to interpret the benefits of living on-campus.
- Ability to define, develop and implement procedures; ability to carry out assignments without detailed instructions.
- Master’s degree relevant to the position.
- At least two years of experience creating and delivering publications.
- At least two years of established proficiency in web-based marketing and interactive/social media marketing.
- At least two years of experience in and knowledge of marketing to the college-aged demographic, freshmen through graduate level.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button. If you need assistance completing your application, please click here.
Applicants with disabilities requiring assistance may call (619) 594-3953.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke free campus. For more information, please click here.
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.