Assistant Dean, School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Founded in 1969, Stockton University, New Jersey’s Distinctive Public University, is also one of America’s most distinctive public universities, consistently ranking among the nation’s finest educational institutions and among the top ten public Master’s institutions in the Northeast. Stockton proudly offers the academic, technological, and cultural advantages of a large institution combined with the community spirit of a small liberal arts college. Stockton is noted for combining an outstanding interdisciplinary approach to graduate and undergraduate education with all the qualities of an outstanding employer. We offer a unique vibrant working environment, a wealth of work related opportunities and outstanding employee benefits. Stockton is committed to attracting, encouraging and retaining a qualified workforce to support the mission of the University. The University is located in the Pinelands National Reserve in southern New Jersey, about one hour from Philadelphia, two hours from New York City, three hours from the Baltimore/Washington area, and 20 minutes from Atlantic City. The University’s location, active, stimulating campus life and diverse community make Stockton University a great place to work!
Stockton University is seeking to fill the position of Assistant Dean in the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, a non-tenured managerial position. The School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics employs eighty full and part-time faculty, fifty-three adjunct faculty and thirty-nine staff. The School enrolls approximately 1,330 students in the following undergraduate programs: Biochemistry Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science/Studies, Geology, Marine Science, Mathematics, Physics and Sustainability. A Professional Science Master’s degree in Environmental Science and a Master of Science in Data Science and Strategic Analytics are housed in the School. The Marine Field Station and Costal Resource Center are also under the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
- Interprets and applies University policies and procedures needed to increase operational efficiency in the School;
- Ensures compliance with negotiated faculty workload; addresses discrepancies directly with faculty, selects and implements necessary steps toward resolution;
- Assists the Dean and University by providing recommendations relative to matters affecting collective bargaining or the development of management’s position in negotiations, grievances, or other matters in all areas of assigned responsibilities;
- Supervises, in conjunction with the Dean’s secretary, the NAMS academic office staff; engages in staff evaluation, reclassification and hiring;
- Serves as proxy to the Dean in approval of faculty timesheets, requisitions, and payment requests;
- Supervises and mentors Adjunct Faculty; assesses and coordinates hiring needs with Program Coordinators;
- Approves course offerings and faculty schedules as per University policy; enforces School policies regarding curricular integrity; independently evaluates enrollment expectations and manages outcomes;
- Manages, monitors and predicts the School’s course, section, and seat needs including General Studies obligations.
- Oversees classroom allocations and assignments.
- In conjunction with the Director of Academic Laboratories and Field Facilities, allocates and assigns teaching laboratories.
- Works with faculty to adjust to cancellations and other changes as relate to their teaching assignment and workload as per University policy and existing labor agreements.
- Reviews, assigns credit, and approves all applications for Student Special Projects, Internships, and Independent Studies and grade changes, per University policy; works with faculty to ensure accuracy of all submitted information;
- Handles all aspects of student concerns and complaints that present to the Dean’s office; has authority to resolve issues by developing relevant methods and means or by referral to the appropriate University Office;
- Evaluates and approves graduation certifications; resolves discrepancies in graduation audits; develops and implements corrective measures when necessary to enforce University policies;
- Working with the Dean and Program Coordinators, identify and implement pedagogical innovations to courses and curriculum that address students’ needs in preparing for STEM careers;
- Lead the School’s STEM collaborative initiatives including Science Enrichment Academy at Stockton and the Jersey Shore Science Fair and work with University Center for Community Engagement
- Assists with budget planning and analysis; recommends resource prioritization;
- Prepares and monitors budgets for adjuncts, Program Coordinators and Directors, and faculty overloads; manages payments in these areas;
- Recommends directions and goals in terms of enrollments, programs, resource allocation, and personnel recruitment;
- Plans and executes events and publications for the School such as University commencements, open houses, orientations, and Bulletin production; website management;
- Represents the Dean in his/her absence, including at the Deans’ and/or Provost Council;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Dean of the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics and/or the Provost and Vice President.
- The ability to support Stockton University’s diversity commitment and strong student-centered vision and mission.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field
- Five years of relevant academic experience
- Academic experience in higher education administration
- Strong organizational, communication, time management and interpersonal skills necessary to manage and grow a highly active and visible academic school
- Teaching experience in science or related field at the undergraduate or graduate level
- Experience advising and or counseling students
- Experience supervising personnel and working with faculty in a union environment
- Knowledge of Banner, Degree Works or comparable student and management information systems in an educational setting
Salary commensurate with experience and is accompanied by an extremely competitive university benefits package.
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply please visit: https://stockton.hiretouch.com. Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the on-line application in addition to providing the following required documents. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to move forward. You may upload documents using Word or PDF.
- A letter of interest describing specific skills and experiences
- A curriculum vitae
- A list of three professional references (included in the application): Name, Organization, Email address and Telephone
- All offers of employment are contingent upon a favorable background check.
- Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact: Sharon Hunt, Recruitment Manager at 609-652-4384.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees in certain positions are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed.
- Prospective employees may access the Annual Security Report for the University at www.stockton.edu/campuspolice or contact the Campus Police department at 609-652-4378 to request a hard copy of the report.
- Stockton University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants, visit; http://www.stockton.edu/affirmative_action. Additionally, pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Stockton University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.