Academic Dean-Arts & Humanities
Arkansas State University-Beebe, a comprehensive two-year community college and part of the Arkansas State University System, is seeking an Academic Dean for Arts & Humanities. The College is focused on teaching and learning, and emphasizes student success at all levels and is interested in candidates who value those same attributes.
Candidates must appreciate and understand the mission and purpose of an open-access, community and technical college. Candidates must possess a terminal degree in an academic discipline offered within the division and a minimum of four years of supervisory and/or management experience in a higher education environment. Candidates who are ABD may be considered. As a collaborative, energetic leader, the successful candidate will demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills; a strong commitment to student success and faculty/staff development; a comfort with change, innovation, and technology; and the use of data for decision-making. The Academic Dean will report directly to the Chief Academic Officer and have a voice in executive decisions concerning academics at the institution.
The Academic Dean of Arts and Humanities is responsible for coordinating the delivery of instruction in all programs and discipline areas within the division,
for ensuring the quality if instruction, for the annual review of assessment of faculty performance, for recommending faculty for promotion and tenure, for budget management, and for the overall leadership, management, and supervision of the division. The dean is responsible for operating the division within accordance with the policies and procedures of the Arkansas State University System, Arkansas State University-Beebe, Arkansas Department of Higher Education, and appropriate accreditation agencies. This is a 12-month administrative position. The Dean serves on ASU system and institutional committees and teaches courses when deemed necessary.
The Division of Arts and Humanities is diverse and delivers the lion\’s share of the general education offerings of the College. Delivery methods include traditional face-to-face, hybrid, online, and Concurrent (dual enrollment). The disciplines and programs include Art & Graphic Design, Comparative Religion, Education and Early Childhood Education (Daycare), English Composition & Literature, Developmental English, Geography, Health & Physical Education, History, Military Science, Music, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology & Social Work, Spanish, and Theatre.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supervise, evaluate, and recruit division faculty and make recommendations to the Chief Academic Officer in regard to hiring, promotion, tenure, and term of employment.
2. Supervise and evaluate the Director of Arts & Humanities, Program Coordinators, Lead Faculty, Faculty of the division, Program Liaisons, and administrative support staff.
3. Supervise, evaluate, and recruit adjunct faculty on an as needed basis.
4. Promote faculty professional development, scholarship, institutional and community service, and supervise, evaluate, and promote the professional development of the division support staff.
5. Manage and administer division budgets, including technology purchases, travel, and general operating expenses.
6. Assign faculty teaching and work load assignments in accordance with ASUSystem and ASU-Beebe policy and procedures.
7. Oversee curriculum development, delivery of instruction, and the assessment and evaluation of programs and instruction in collaboration with program coordinators, division faculty, and academic staff to promote student success and learning.
8. Oversee accreditation efforts of the division specific to the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), ASU System Policy, ASU-Beebe Policy, and nationally recognized individualized programmatic accreditation requirements.
9. Oversee the schedule of division courses in collbaoration with other deans and program coordinators to promote student engagement, persistence, and retention.
10. Collaborate with Coordinator of Concurrent Education to schedule concurrent courses and evaluate concurrent faculty.
11. Collaborate with the Division of Online Learning to monitor and evaluate online course shells, and faculty teaching online.
12. Provide program/academic advisement and active engagement with students to include advising and course registration.
13. Develop initiatives within the division to achieve educational goals and objectives that align with the college’s strategic plan.
14. Foster an environment within the division and across the college that promotes collegiality, academic professionalism, and integrity of courses and programs.
15. Ensure the delivery of quality education in traditional and online formats that is responsive to transfer institutions and business and industry.
16. Actively engage with counterpart institutions, transfer institutions, local business/industry partners, K-12 partners, and the ASU-Beebe community.
Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
NOTE: If you are a veteran, disabled veteran, or spouse of a deceased veteran and would like Veteran’s Preference, we will need to see proof of status in order to grant that. Please see Veteran’s Preference section of the application for specific proof.