Market Data Research Assistant
Job location: 105 W. Adams
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-06-13
Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.Department3034103 Bus-Ctr For Res Security PriceAbout the UnitThe University of Chicago Booth School of Business is the second-oldest school in the U.S. and second to none when it comes to influencing business education and business practices. Since 1898, the school has produced ideas and leaders that shape the world of business. Their rigorous, discipline-based approach to business education transforms students into confident, effective, respected business leaders prepared to face the toughest challenges. Chicago Booth has the finest set of facilities of any business school in the world. Each of the four campuses (two in Chicago, one in London, and one in Hong Kong) reflects the architectural traditions of its environs while offering a state-of-the-art learning environment. Chicago Booth is proud to claim: -an unmatched faculty. -degree and open enrollment programs offered on three continents. -a global body of nearly 50,000 accomplished alumni. - strong and growing corporate relationships that provide a wealth of lifelong career opportunities. As part of the world-renowned University of Chicago, Chicago Booth shares the University's core values that shape the distinctive intellectual culture. At Booth, they constantly question and test ideas, and seek proof. This extraordinarily effective approach to business leads to new ideas and innovative solutions. Seven of the Booth faculty members have won Nobel Prizes for these ideas - the first business school to achieve this accomplishment. For more information about the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, please visit: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/Job FamilyInformation TechnologyResponsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing applications, systems architecture, and network infrastructure. Ensures operation and security of all servers and networks. Configures, installs, maintains and upgrades applications and hardware for the organization's infrastructure and for end-user devices.Career Track and Job LevelBusiness Systems AnalysisActs as a liaison between the IT group and business units for the development and implementation of new systems and enhancement of existing systems Evaluates new applications and identifies systems requirements. Evaluates new IT developments and evolving business requirements, and recommends appropriate systems alternatives and/or enhancements to current systems.P1: Performs routine assignments in the entry level to a professional job progression. Typically requires a college or university degree or the equivalent work experience that provides knowledge and exposure to fundamental theories, principles and concepts. Develops competence by performing structured work assignments. Uses existing procedures to solve routine or standard problems. Receives instruction, guidance and direction from others.Role ImpactIndividual ContributorResponsibilitiesThe job liaises between the IT group and business to support the development and implementation of new systems and enhancements of existing systems. With moderate/high guidance, evaluates new IT developments and evolving business requirements, and uses elementary knowledge of University systems to recommend appropriate systems.1) With moderate/high levels of direction from others, conducts business process analyses, needs assessments, and preliminary cost/benefits analyses. Uses basic understanding of applicable business processes, systems, and industry requirements., 2) Prepares functional, system, and program specifications. Assists in revising existing system logic difficulties as necessary, under the direction of more experienced colleagues., 3) Supports the IT development group in building new systems and enhance existing systems. Assists in coding, testing, debugging, and implementing software solutions. Prepares documentation on system enhancements and/or alternatives., 4) Evaluates new IT developments, keeps up with evolving business requirements, and uses knowledge of University systems to recommend appropriate systems alternatives and/or enhancements to current systems., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) The Market Data Analyst’s primary responsibility is the maintenance and update of various CRSP financial databases with a focus on overall data quality and accuracy.
2) Collaboration and teamwork are a large part of this responsibility.
3) Additional responsibilities may include improving/creating internal documentation, updating databases for historical research projects, and assisting the Client Services team with data-related issues.
4) Responsible for the execution of update tasks for assigned databases.
5) Responsible for the research and correction of data outliers, as identified in update procedures and historical research.
6) Effectively collaborate and coordinate with the Managers, Project Leaders, Client Services and other Staff during the update process, historical research projects, and/or client inquiries.
7) Assist with historical projects to verify existing CRSP data.
8) Assist with insuring data and database integrity.
9) Use of the Internet for company and securities research.
10) Moderate data entry with accuracy and the use of various internal computer systems and Microsoft Office products.
1) Proficiency in financial theory and terminology.
2) Perform multiple, complex assignments under limited direction.
3) Plan and accomplish assignments, either as an individual contributor or as a member of a team, based on their experience and technical knowledge of systems and subsystems.
4) Provide training to other employees.
5) Effectively communicate and achieve positive results, share information, provide data, furnish guidance, and discuss assignment status within the immediate work unit.
6) Develop basic SQL queries.
7) Ability to use MS Office tools (including Word, Access, and Excel) at least at an intermediate level.
8) Satisfactorily perform at least twoCRSP update processes (e.g., Stock, Bond, Compustat, Mutual Fund, REIT) with minimal supervision or assistance OR experienced in performing similar functions while working for another financial database product provider.
9) Ability to satisfactorily perform two CRSP support functions (e.g., Distributions, Bulletins, Returns, etc.), or experienced in performing similar functions while working for another financial database product provider.
10) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
11) Meet deadlines and work as part of a team.
12) Careful attention to detailed data entry.
13) A commitment to product quality, the ability to multitask, organizational skills, and positive energy.Education, Experience, and CertificationsMinimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through < 2 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics or accounting, OR a Bachelor’s degree with a passing score on the CFA Level I exam.
1) One year industry experience.
2) Experience answering client data inquiries and performing data edits as directed by coordinators or supervisors and collaborating with programmers and other analysts on projects and activities.
3) Experience with data quality assurance and quality control.
4) Experience with market data.
2) Cover letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.FLSA StatusNon-ExemptPay FrequencyBiweeklyPay GradeDepends on QualificationsScheduled Weekly Hours37.5Benefits EligibleYesDrug Test RequiredNoHealth Screen RequiredNoMotor Vehicle Record Inquiry RequiredNoPosting Date2019-06-13-07:00Remove from Posting On or Before2019-12-13-08:00Posting StatementThe University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.