Director, Center for Student Leadership, Equity and Excellence
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Jun 12, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports To: Vice President of Student Life/Dean of Students
Supervises: Assistant Director, Coordinator(s), and Administrative staff
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Vice President of Student Life/Dean of Students, the Director of Student Leadership, Equity and Excellence supports the goals of the Division of Student Life and the College, as well as the College's Strategic Plan in the development and implementation of resources and programs that promote community, leadership and a vibrant campus life. This position manages a comprehensive student activities program intended to enrich the co-curricular experience of undergraduate and graduate students, to create an inclusive environment for a diverse student body, and to encourage broad based participation in student life. The Director is responsible for Divisional efforts in student leadership, student activities advising and programming, new student orientation and weeks of welcome, social justice training and education, and community engagement and service that complement the Mills College mission and academic curriculum, accomplished through educational, cultural, social and recreational programs that foster student learning and development. Specific areas of responsibility include campus programming, student leadership development, student organization advisement, assessment, student para-professional staff development and supervision of both professional and para-professional staff.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plan and implement comprehensive orientation programs for new first year, transfer and graduate students, in collaboration with faculty and admissions, and other administrative and academic offices across campus.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive leadership development curriculum for students
- Develop and implement introductory week events during the beginning of fall semester and a smaller scale program in the beginning of spring.
- Supervise the planning and implementation of campus-wide social, cultural and educational programs.
- Supervise the development and implementation of programming and initiatives on equity, inclusion and social justice for students.
- Provide leadership training and mentoring for student leaders and effective guidance and supervision to student organizations.
- Serve as an advisor to the Associated Students of Mills College (ASMC).
- Oversee student organizations budgets and assure compliance with College financial policies and take appropriate steps to be compliant with all state and federal laws and campus policies.
- Supervise, manage, and prioritize fiscal efforts within the departmental budget.
- Serve as advisor to committees and groups as requested.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation. This includes maintaining and protecting confidentiality of information.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships, while working in a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Develop and implement policies, programming and educational opportunities that community and enhance student retention and sense of belonging.
- Collaborate and build partnerships with academic departments and administrative offices in order to develop and deliver co-curricular programs and services that support the retention and graduation of students.
- Hire, evaluate, supervise and provide professional development opportunities for staff. Promote a safe work practices within each area of responsibility, enforce safety rules and assure employee compliance with all safety rules and guidelines.
- Design and develop marketing and communication materials (print, audio, and web), to increase awareness of student activities.
- Participate in department and division meetings for project planning, policy development and direction setting and serve on Divisional and campus-wide committees.
- As a member of the Division of Student Life, provide event support for campus-wide programs, as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Student development theory
- Social justice training and diversity education
- Demonstrated expertise in student and leadership development, event planning and management.
- Knowledge of student activities programs and leadership training methods
- Knowledge and prior experience in social justice work regarding power and privilege dynamics.
- Budgeting and forecasting of budget needs
- Development of a comprehensive assessment strategy to measure success
- Principles and practices of administration, supervision and training.
- Diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of College students.
- Advanced computer skills involving databases, spreadsheets, word processing, web based interactive communication, social media and/or other applications utilizing software applicable to the function.
- Appropriate methods and strategies to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Appropriate methods and strategies to promote and sustain the ability of staff members to effectively deliver quality customer service within the context of all aspects of job performance.
- Compliance for federal and state law and policies.
- Safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements of the department, College and Illness & Injury Prevention Plan.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to listen and lead within an activist campus community.
- Ability to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Ability to understand the needs of a diverse population, including students of color and resuming students.
- Ability to engage and work in collaboration
- Strong budgetary skills.
- Strong marketing, web and technology skills
- Commitment to women's education.
- Interpersonal skills
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff
Education and Training:
- Master's degree in higher education, counseling, student development or related field
- 5 years of progressive experience in higher education
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Demands:
- Work involves week-end and evening availability.
- At times, the incumbent will be sitting for long hours and using computers.
- Hearing and speaking are required for communication.
- Work can be both inside and outside, sometimes in inclement weather.
- Work often requires flexibility in terms of time, and physical demands.
- Work occasionally requires physical exertion such as lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds.
- Interruptions and meeting with a variety of people will be required on a regular basis.
- There are a number of deadlines and multiple requirements associated with this position, which may cause significant stress.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.