Assistant Cross Country Coach
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Jun 13, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part-time Non-Exempt
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Head Coach
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Head Coach, assist in planning, organizing, coordinating, and leading the operations of the assigned Mills College intercollegiate athletics team to support the academic and athletic mission and goals of Mills College, the department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (APER), and the NCAA Division III.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist in planning, organizing, coordinating, and leading the operations of an assigned Mills College intercollegiate athletics team in support of the academic and athletic mission and goals of the Mills College, the APER department, and the NCAA Division III.
- Participate in recruitment activities as assigned; prepare and distribute recruiting materials to high school coaches, prospective students and others.
- Communicate with continuing and prospective students in person, on the telephone and using current technology to provide information on College athletics, academics, and student programs and services; meet with students as needed.
- Assist and lead sports team as assigned by the Head Coach in training and competition, including demonstrating sport skills, and educating students through drills, physical conditioning, organized play, mental training, team strategy, team meetings, coach-player discussions, and other activities.
- Drive vehicles to team events to transport people and equipment.
- Assist with organizing and coordinating team special events and activities, including Invitational tournaments and other activities sponsored by Mills College; participate in related events.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Use, repair, maintain and adjust sports equipment as necessary; utilize a variety of hand and power tools.
- Spend and account for College money according to College and APER department policies when making team purchases.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance.
- Maintain safe work conditions and sports environment and comply with established safety policies, practices, procedures, and requirements.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- NCAA Division III rules and regulations regarding eligibility, recruiting, practice
and playing limitations and related policies.
- Mills College and APER department policies, regulations, and requirements.
- California driving regulations and Mills College and APER driving policies.
- Safe and current coaching and motivation techniques.
- Principles of body mechanics and physical conditioning.
- Basic elements of pedagogy of assigned sport.
- Goals and objectives of assigned activity.
- Operation and use of hand and power tools and sports equipment.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Public speaking techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Safety policies, practices, procedures, and requirements of the department, College
and Illness & Injury Prevention Plan.
- Ability to assist in planning, organizing, coordinating and leading the operations of
an assigned Mills College intercollegiate athletics team in support of the academic
and athletic philosophies of the College Mission Statement, the APER department,
and the NCAA Division III.
- Effectively engage in recruitment activities.
- Use computers and phones to communicate effectively.
- Assist and lead sports team as assigned by the Head Coach in training and
competition, including demonstrating sport skills and educating students through
drills, physical conditioning, organized play, mental training, team strategy, team meetings, coach-player discussions, and other activities.
- Successfully obtain and maintain: appropriate California driver's license, current
medical certification and drug testing clearance, Mills College registration and training to drive vehicles.
- Drive APER vehicles, and possibly a15-passenger van if assigned.
- Assist with organizing and coordinating team special events and activities, including
Invitational tournaments and other activities sponsored by Mills College.
- Participate in related events.
- Conduct coach-player and team meetings as necessary.
- Prepare and deliver oral presentations.
- Spend and account for College money according to College and APER department
policies when making team purchases.
- Maintain routine records.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Operate, service and make minor repairs on equipment.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a
diverse and multicultural environment.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons
contacted during the course of job performance.
Education and Training:
Any combination equivalent to:
- Bachelor's degree and participation in the assigned sport.
- B.A. Degree in Coaching, Physical Education, Kinesiology, or related field preferred.
- Valid California driver's license and safe driving record. Registration as Mills College
driver. Successful completion of Mills driver training.
- If driving a 15-passenger van is required for the assigned sport team, meet California class
B driver's license, medical certificate, drug testing, and driver training requirements.
- Valid and current First Aid and CPR-AED certificate issued by an authorized agency.
- Criminal background check.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Indoor and outdoor work environment.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions.
- Variable hours including weekdays, weekends, early mornings, and evenings.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers, arms, legs, and feet to demonstrate and participate in sport activities.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision to see individual and team performance and drive vehicles.
- Carrying, pushing or pulling.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.