Lecturer - Visual Design
Posting DetailsPosting Details Working TitleLecturer - Visual DesignPosting Number2019016FP Position Information Classification TitleLecturerClassification Code8209RCW Exemption Criteria10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position NumberF99356CUPA Code09.07 - Radio, Television & Digital CommunicationFLSAExempt - TeachingBargaining Unit UFE% Full Time100%Salary / Wage RangeCUPASalary Information
DOE/DOQAnticipated Start Date09/16/2019Term of Appointment9 months per academic yearLocationCheney CampusCountySpokaneProject Description
n/aProject Durationn/aBackground CheckYes - Both Department Information Level 1 User with AccessSherry MowattResponsible HR UserLori LivingstoneResponsible HR User Email [email protected] (inquiries only) Posting Text Job Summary
The College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics at Eastern Washington University invites applications for a Visual Design Lecturer within the department of Engineering & Design.
The successful candidate will offer:
- Expertise in illustration/animation, visual narrative/storytelling and graphic communication.
- Capability to teach at all levels of the undergraduate program and across diverse fields of design that include, but are not limited to, visual communication, typography, information design, systems design, interaction design, motion design, social design, graphic design history, writing and composition, visual storytelling, emergent design, and sustainable design.
All faculty are expected to actively participate in assessment of student learning and to engage in effective teaching.
Position is open until further notice; screening will begin June 17, 2019. Submit your application materials through our online faculty applications portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resource Services, Lori Livingstone, at (509) 359-6931. All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
Optional: if you wish to receive a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the job, then please contact the Office of Human Resources at [email protected] or via phone to 509-359-6931.Physical Demands
NonePre-Placement Physical NoHearing Test NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire NoProtective Equipment
- Bachelors degree with relevant industry experience, or an MFA or MDes in Visual Design or related field;
- To be considered qualifying, your degree and/or experience must include emphasis in illustration/animation, visual narrative/storytelling, and/or graphic communication;
- Strong interest in teaching and developing visual design courses that include project-based learning, creative problem solving, and community-based design;
- Excellent communication skills to meet the needs of our diverse student body.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff and the public.
- Either a bachelors degree with 5 + years relevant industry experience, or an MFA or MDes with 2 + years relevant experience in Visual Design or related field, with an emphasis in illustration/animation, visual narrative/storytelling, and/or graphic communication;
- At least 1 year of teaching experience;
- Strong foundational understanding of formal design principles, design processes and technologies, and creative problem defining and solving skills;
- Proficient with industry-standard software such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and able to produce high-quality, computer-based design, layout, and illustration;
- Experience with basic animation and coding;
- Interested in working collaboratively with colleagues across disciplines; working with nonprofits, government agencies and companies on collaborative courses and projects.
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter in response to course schedule.Posting Date06/03/2019Open Until Further NoticeYesClosing DateScreening to Begin06/24/2019Special Instructions to Applicants
To be assured full consideration, your application must be complete and submitted through the online portal located at: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu.
Applications must include:
- Letter of application that explains how you meet each of the key responsibilities and qualifications of the position. (both required and preferred);
- Curriculum Vitae, with a list of three references to include name, title, organization name, address, email, phone numbers, and their connection to you;
- Diversity Response: As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and back grounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public;
- Portfolio with up to 20 images of your work and up to 10 images of student work, in a single pdf – attach your pdf portfolio to the link labeled Other Document #1
- A one page statement of your teaching philosophy including any supporting evidence of teaching success;
All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.Job Duties % of Time100Responsibility / Duty
Teaching: Typical workload for this position will involve 45 credits per academic year, subject to department needs
Teaching includes the following additional related responsibilities as defined in the faculty CBA
- Meet all scheduled classes
- Plan, organize and inform students of the course content, texts, readings, assignments, attendance regulations and methods of evaluation including grading scales
- Schedule and attend office hours
- Turn in grades according to established deadlines
Additionally, all faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of student learning.Essential Function IndicatorYesPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Diversity Response
- Teaching Philosophy
- Other Document #1
- DD214 Form