NURSE PRACTITIONER - Medicine - Cardiology
Auto req ID
1129 NURSE PRACTITIONER
Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant – Electrophysiology
The Division of Cardiology, Section of Electrophysiology is recruiting for an experienced Advanced Practice Provider (NP/PA) to join a growing faculty and staff in the care and management of patients with cardiac arrhythmias. This position may provide services at one or more locations within Duke Heart . The Advanced Practice Provider (APP) must thoroughly evaluate each individual patient to determine which actions are appropriate. Sound clinical judgment is imerative. All medical acts performed by the APP will remain within his/her scope of practice as delineated by the North Carolina Me dical Board and Duke Hospital Bylaws.
Prior autonomic dysfunction APP experience preferred.
Job Description/Scope of Practice
A. Clinical Role: Delivery of safe, efficient, andcomprehensi ve patient care ofcommon acute and chronic illnesses related tocardiac arrhythmias. This will include, but is not limited to: obtaininghistorie s, performing physical exams and other feasible medical acts, obtainingi nformed consent for procedures and research trials, providing informativ electures and other related activities as described within the my scope ofpractice.
Specific daily activities include:
• Record the history of present illness, family and social his tory
• Perform physical examinations
• Reconcile medications
• Perform medical decision making - create plan of care for patient
• Patient and family teaching
• Refer for appropriate studies
• Prescribe and refill appropriate med icationsusing electronic prescribing system(s), or other appropriate mea ns
• Coodinate care with other medicalprofessiona ls including referrals to other providers and follow-up on results.Ensur e communication with outside providers as required
• Produce appropriate documentation of clinic,telephone and other patie nt care encounters
• Order, review and interpret l aboratoriesresults and communicate to patients and others as required.
• Order appropriate laboratory and diagnostic testing for most common conditions and symptoms in accordance with accepted guidelines and direction. Facilitate scheduling/ordering procedures performed at the hospital
• Collaborate with Heart Center Communications Triage office to triage urgent calls
• Collaborate with other NP/PAs to ensureclinic and telephone coverage
• Triage patients who drop by ambulatoryclinic
• Ensure collection of outside lab reports andinclusi on to the medical record
• Complete patient paperw ork such asmedication pre-certifications, prior authorizations and Peer- to-Peer review.
• Acutely manage chest pain, acute coronarysyndrome, hypertension, heart failure, valvular disease and oth er emergencyconditions
Commonly ordered laboratory, procedures and diagnostic teststhat can be performed/ordered are listed below. Recogni zing that this listcannot account for every clinical situation, best cli nical judgment will beused considering currently accepted indications, c ontraindications, andguidelines.
Invasive procedures and testing are reviewed with an attending physician. This listing is not all-inclusive:
• Cardiac Enzymes
• Lipid Profile
• PT/PTT and other coagulation studies
• Thyroid Pro file
Diagnostic testing or procedures
• Device interrogation, evaluation a nd appropriateprogramming changes.
• Complete device interrogation reports
• Cardiac Catheterization and MRI
• Cardiac stress testing
• Echocardiogram, including carotid, transesophageal and transthoracic
• EKG including alternative lead placement and signal averaged
• Electrical Cardioversion
• Event, Holter and other ambulatory monitoring
• Extremity angiography
• Pulmonary Function Testing
• Pulse Oximetry
• Ultrasound of organs and systems
• VQ Testing.
B. Scope of Practice: Responsibility and accountability fort he continuous and comprehensive management of a broad range of personal health services for which the NP/PA is educationally prepared and for which competency has been maintained with physician super vision.
These services include, but are not restricted to:
1. Health maintenance and promotion
2. Prevention of illness and disability
3. Diagnosing, treating, and managing acute and chronic illnesses including, but not limited to, cardiac arrhythmias,implanted cardiac devices such as ICDs and pacemakers, chronic medication therapy and syncope
4. Guidance and counseling for both individuals and families
5. Prescribing,administering, and dispensing therapeutic measures, tests, procedures and medications
6. Planning for situation s beyond the mid-level provider's expertise, and consulting with and referring to other health care providers as appropriate
7. Evaluating health care outcomes
NURSE PRACTITIONER - Medicine - Cardiology
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Medicine - Cardiology
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.Education
Work requires completion of accredited Nurse Practitioner program. State of North Carolina licensure is also required.Experience
Work requires no previous experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE