Job no: 496357
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Library & IT
Library & Information Technology (L&IT) at Bucknell is a unified organization that has evolved dramatically, shedding over time many of the distinctions that frequently separate university library and information technology departments. L&IT takes pride in its accomplishments and its important role at Bucknell. Staff members are committed to professionalism, excellence and service through: innovation and creativity; collaboration; diversity and inclusion; integrity; trust and trustworthiness; and communication and transparency.
The mission of the Systems Engineer is to identify, develop, design, implement, and support creative solutions to the computer communication and information technology needs of the University community through the integration of multiple hardware and software applications residing in desktop, networked, cloud, and central computing environments.
Systems Engineers are responsible for the campus core production, test, and development platforms and systems. They work collaboratively with other members of the Systems and Operations group, staff in Network and Telephony, Solution Development, Technology Support, the Executive Director of Enterprise Technologies, the Chief Information Security Officer, and other staff in Library and Information Technology to offer or take advantage of expertise, investigate opportunities for further integration, improve existing services, or offer new services. Systems Engineers report to the Associate Director of Technology Infrastructure.
This position requires the ability to work closely with a wide range of constituents (students, faculty, administrators, support staff, and others) possessing a broad array of skills. This position also requires a self-starter who has the ability to fulfill a variety of functions in a team environment without direct supervision. All team members are required to assume appropriate responsibilities while coordinating their efforts with other members of the L&IT staff and the University community.
All Library & Information Technology staff members are expected to contribute to Bucknell’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The primary responsibilities of this position are AWS platform administration, Linux server administration, and system and platform security.
- Administer Linux based servers in a production environment, hosted both on-premise and in cloud environments.
- Manage environments including standalone servers, virtual hypervisors, and cloud platforms.
- Administer network attached storage devices.
- Design and implement new service and integration projects, both independently and collaboratively.
- Perform testing, validation, monitoring and backups of supported systems.
- Provide support and incident/problem management and response.
- Collaborate with Systems Analysts in converting users’ functional requirements into technical requirements, and workable, supportable solutions that meet the users’ needs.
- Coordinate the implementation of solutions that integrate multiple hardware and software technologies in a networked environment.
- Work closely with other L&IT personnel in developing applications of broad campus impact that take advantage of a networked environment extending from the desktop to the external computing world, and that meet the needs of the University community.
- Provide the campus community with advanced expertise and technological specialization on the operating environments and information systems supported by L&IT.
- Coordinate data security, data integrity, and data backup of the University's central computer and communication resources.
- Assist in the planning, design, and development of projects that enhance and develop areas of computing support including computing facilities, hardware and software resources, and policies and procedures.
- Monitor utilization of the University's computer, communication, and information technology resources and to plan and install adequate levels of resources to meet the needs of the campus community.
- Investigate appropriate cooperative, client-server, and peer-to-peer computing solutions for campus-wide needs in a networked environment.
- Function as a technical contact with hardware and software vendors as appropriate.
Provide training and instruction for the transfer of unique expertise and knowledge to other members of the L&IT staff as well as members of the campus community.
- Maintain, respect, and protect the confidentiality of information held within or transferred across the University's computer and communication resources in any format.
- Follow all University policies and procedures and assist in ensuring the compliance to said policies, especially as they relate to security and technology.
- Be on call during non-office and emergency hours to respond to critical needs of the University community.
- Stay abreast of emerging products and technologies and maintain skills through formal and informal training, networking, and event attendance.
- Keep abreast of alternative and new developments in computer and communication technologies that are relevant to fostering a networked, distributed, and integrated multi-vendor environment.
- Appropriately utilize the University’s project and ticketing system.
- Provide courteous, responsive service to the campus community.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and at least 4 years of experience in a production environment or a minimum of 8 years of combined experience and education.
- Demonstrated experience in server administration, including setup and configuration of the system, appropriately securing and monitoring the system; patching and updating operating system and other appropriate software; and performing system backups.
- Experience with cloud platforms, preferably AWS.
- Experience with backup, recovery, and business continuity planning and implementation.
- Experience with integrating and interfacing between multiple systems.
- Experience with authentication systems, e.g. CAS, LDAP, Shibboleth.
- Competency in Linux and/or Windows scripting languages.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Microsoft networking and authentication.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with IP networking.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with network attached storage.
- Knowledge of design and deployment of file, print and other services.
- Enthusiasm for learning new software tools, operating systems, networking applications, etc.
- A strong interest in creative problem solving, the application of emerging technological standards, and providing functional, high quality services.
- The ability to learn independently and to apply and share that new knowledge when necessary.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in a higher education environment.
- Experience with Active Directory administration.
- Experience with VMWare, vSphere, ESX/ESXi.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server.
- Advanced programming skills.
- Experience with AWS compute technologies including IAM, Lambda, S3, Cloudformation, SQS, SNS, etc.
- Experience with configuration management and deployment tools, e.g. Git, Ansible, CFEngine, Terraform, etc.
- Experience with agile development approaches including continuous integration, unit testing, and iterative development.
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker, ECS, or Kubernetes.
- Experience with a SIEM, preferably Splunk.
- Experience with authentication technologies including SAML, OAUTH, LDAP, Kerberos, RADIUS, etc.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 12 Jun 2019 Eastern Daylight Time