Associate General Counsel
Founded in 1969, Stockton University, New Jersey’s Distinctive Public University, is also one of America’s most distinctive public universities, consistently ranking among the nation’s finest educational institutions and among the top ten public Master’s institutions in the Northeast. Stockton proudly offers the academic, technological, and cultural advantages of a large institution combined with the community spirit of a small liberal arts college. Stockton is noted for combining an outstanding interdisciplinary approach to graduate and undergraduate education with all the qualities of an outstanding employer. We offer a unique vibrant working environment, a wealth of work related opportunities and outstanding employee benefits. Stockton is committed to attracting, encouraging and retaining a qualified workforce to support the mission of the University. The University is located in the Pinelands National Reserve in southern New Jersey, about one hour from Philadelphia, two hours from New York City, three hours from the Baltimore/Washington area, and 20 minutes from Atlantic City. The University’s location, active, stimulating campus life and diverse community make Stockton University a great place to work!
The Associate General Counsel will provide research, advice, guidance and assistance on a wide range of administrative, labor and employment, litigation and compliance matters, and such other tasks as assigned by the General Counsel or his designee. The successful candidate will provide research and support on projects handled by the Office of General Counsel, including issues related to employment law, Title IX/discrimination law, higher education law, labor and employment matters, compliance; perform investigations; research assigned tasks and projects; assist with litigation management, research, and responses; draft and edit memos, correspondence, policies, procedures, and other documents; prepare and/or present reports and recommendations. This position reports to the General Counsel.
- Graduation from an ABA-accredited law school with a Juris Doctor degree and a strong law school performance.
- Licensed to practice law in New Jersey and in good standing with the New Jersey State Bar.
- Three years of relevant legal experience in one or more of the following: Title VII, Title IX, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, faculty tenure, and employee hiring and separations. Knowledge of higher education laws are a plus.
- Familiarity and experience with the New Jersey Open Public Records Act (OPRA).
- Knowledge of legal processes, legal research methods, brief writing, letter writing, memo writing is required.
- Ability to work at the highest professional level with integrity, excellent judgment, attention to detail, discretion, and to demonstrate the highest personal and leadership characteristics of teamwork, inclusiveness, patience, and adaptability to a broad range of issues, people, and situations.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, writing, and research skills.
- Intellectual acumen and flexibility to analyze, interpret, summarize, and present complex issues clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, including active listening skills.
- Strong work ethic.
- Able to work efficiently and independently, as well as on a team, taking ownership in providing responsive, high quality, and professional legal services to University clients.
- A high level of self-initiative, with the ability and willingness to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to prioritize projects and issues, facilitate solutions; and maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion in addressing sensitive topics.
- Must have experience in writing investigative reports.
- The ability to support Stockton University’s diversity commitment and strong student-centered vision and mission.
- Prior experience at another institution of higher education, or a New Jersey State agency strongly preferred.
- Experience in employment litigation.
- Experience in labor union negotiations.
Salary commensurate with experience and is accompanied by an extremely competitive University benefits package.
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until July 15, 2019.
To apply please visit: https://stockton.hiretouch.com. Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the on-line application in addition to providing the following required documents. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to move forward. You may upload documents in the following formats: Microsoft Word or PDF.
- A letter of interest describing specific skills and experiences
- A current résumé or curriculum vitae
- A list of three professional references (included in the application): Name, Organization, Email address and Telephone
- All offers of employment are contingent upon a favorable background check.
- Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact: Sharon Hunt, Recruitment Manager at 609-652-4384.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees in certain positions are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed.
- Prospective employees may access the Annual Security Report for the University at www.stockton.edu/campuspolice or contact the Campus Police department at 609-652-4378 to request a hard copy of the report.
- Stockton University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants, visit; http://www.stockton.edu/affirmative_action. Additionally, pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Stockton University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.