The Division of Experience-Based Learning & Career Education, offers in cooperation with other colleges, unique cooperative education (Co-Op) programs. The Division offers Academic Internships for students enrolled at all UC Colleges. UC’s groundbreaking Experiential Learning Programs have over the past 108 years evolved to become internationally recognized benchmarks. Today the University generates in excess of 5,000 student Co-Op and internship engagements annually. Responsibilities
This position is for a Co-Op faculty advisor with initial primary responsibility for the cooperative education of students majoring in the areas of Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Fine Arts and majors receiving Bachelor of Design degrees (Communication Design, Industrial Design, Fashion Design/Fashion Product Strategy, and Interior Design). This position requires competencies to instruct students pursuing Co-Ops and other experiential learning opportunities in these areas. On a full-time basis, an adjunct faculty member’s primary responsibility involves regular classroom and individual instruction in the pedagogical mission of the Division of Experience-Based Learning and Career Education (ELCE) as well as to advise Co-Op students enrolled in their programs regarding career-relevant development. These Faculty member’s initial and primary responsibilities will be for the cooperative education of undergraduate level students from the College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning (DAAP). The position involves the development of career-relevant Co-Op positions for students; articulating the relationship between academic studies and work assignments, establishing partnerships with employers and practicing artists/designers in the field; monitoring and facilitating student learning and professional development; individual student mentoring; portfolio development, and classroom instruction. These positions will work in close coordination with existing faculty members to share responsibilities for the overall development and ongoing operation of existing Co-Op programs as they evolve to best meet the needs of all stakeholders. As an Annualized Adjunct position, this position will have responsibilities only in teaching and will be appointed on a yearly (three-semester) basis. As noted, the appointment will be a combination of course-based, student-load, and administrative and advising duties. There will be no RPT (Reappointment, Promotion and Tenure) criteria attached to this position. Date of Appointment:
August 15, 2019 Required Qualifications:
- Candidate should have an academic degree in a relevant or related creative field. A Master’s Degree is preferred but not required if significant career and/or prior teaching experience exists.
- The candidate’s background must reflect effectiveness in interpersonal relationships and the ability to work harmoniously with a variety of interest groups. Demonstrated organizational, written and oral communications skills are essential.
- A minimum of two years of relevant professional work experience.
- Candidate must have the ability to effectively use industry-standard office software products with Windows and/or Mac platforms.
- The position requires relevant and progressive documented work experiences in an appropriate non-academic environment.
- The ideal candidate will possess relevant, professional experience in both academic and non-academic environments. Documented teaching and advising experience preferred.
- Professional experience in experiential learning preferred.
- Documented experience in instruction and/or professional training preferred.
FOR ALL FACULTY HIRESOFFICIAL ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPTS WILL BE REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF HIRE
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP). The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.
SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:INS SF:INS