Job location: Hyde Park Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-06-12
Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.Department22262 Computer SciAbout the UnitThe Business Coordinator/Administrative Support performs diversified and confidential administrative support for the Computer Science. The Business Coordinator is responsible for scheduling meeting rooms, monitoring and updating the unit’s calendar, maintaining the database for fellows, visitors and students and works in conjunction with the Manager to ensure the facilities are operating to the highest levels of efficiency.Job FamilyAdministration & ManagementResponsible for planning, directing, coordinating and managing daily operations individual organization units, clinical research facilities, centers or academic departments. Responsibilities are diverse and general in nature and may reflect more than one functional area.Career Track and Job LevelAdministrative SupportProvides various office and location support activities. Identifies, enhances, and follows specific processes and procedures to maximize the efficiencies of the University to which the support is being provided; ensures the correct functioning of facilities, office and/or business support services. Note that B5 job level is restricted to direct support of an Officer or Dean.B3: Has developed specialized skills or is multi-skilled developed through job-related training and considerable on-the-job experience. Completes work with a limited degree of supervision. Likely to act as an informal resource for colleagues with less experience.Role ImpactIndividual ContributorResponsibilitiesThe job provides specialized business support for routine office and location support activities. Identifies, enhances, and follows specific processes and procedures to maximize the efficiencies for which the support is being provided by working autonomously within established procedures and practices. Ensures the correct functioning of facilities, office and/or business support services.1) Provides administrative support for a leader. Stays informed of activities relating to programs and initiatives, apprising the leader of issues when deemed necessary. Coordinates information flow from leader's office ., 2) May initiate correspondence and other written materials under own signature or for signature of the leader. Triages emails and telephone calls for action. Resolves a combination of some routine and complex inquiries., 3) Prepare special reports and summaries, assists in managing daily operation of the office, and may assist in developing administrative goals and policies. Maintains the leader's calendar., 4) Coordinates special projects as directed by the leader. Prepares write ups for recommendations for operational and administrative problems. Manages a portion of the leader's budget, monitoring and reconciling accounts. Prepares financial and/or administrative reports., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) Business Coordinator will assist the Manager in most aspects of business administration.
2) Assists with quarterly space survey for Crerar from the Dean’s Office.
3) Assists with monthly reports of expiring visas, job & appointments received from the Dean’s
4) Processes payroll for undergraduates and temporary staff; approving time and attendance in
5) Assist with departmental communications on social media and websites, as assigned.
6) Maintain directories and spreadsheets, manage mail lists and provide reports on various
7) Regular and ad hoc project assignments that require strong organization and data analysis.
8) Maintains the database of fellows, postdoctoral scholars, visitors and students.
9) Works in conjunction with the Manager to solve maintenance and access related issues.
10) Act as back-up support for Department Manager.
11) Acts as liaison in coordinating events and meetings, including planning and onsite logistics.
12) Some non-standard hours may be required. E.g. colloqiuia, seminars, and conferences.
13) Submit requests for payment of invoices, the purchase of goods and services, process
reimbursements, and expense reconciliation.
Education, Experience, and CertificationsMinimum requirements include vocational training, apprenticeships or the equivalent experience in related field (not typically required to have a four-year degree).Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 5-7 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) Excellent oral and written communication skills
2) Strong customer service skills and ability to interact with and serve a diverse population with
tact, courtesy, clarity, and diplomacy
3) Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and information with absolute
4) Ability to maintain calm and courteous demeanor and to work productively despite heavy
workload, competing priorities, complex problems, and tight deadlines
5) Ability to use appropriate resources to resolve an issue
6) Excellent problem-solving skills
7) Ability to follow an issue through to resolution
8) Must have the ability to work independently with a minimum amount of direct supervision
and proper discernment
9) Ability to take initiative and organize and complete projects with minimal supervision
1) Experience in an academic environment
2) Experience working with social media, websites
3) Experience coordinating events
Technical Knowledge or Skills
1) Strong and broad computer skills (word processing, database, spreadsheet, e-mail, and web),
including a strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
2) Knowledge of GEMS, EPayments, Buysite, Microsoft Outlook, and content editing skills
1) Cover Letter
3) List of References
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.FLSA StatusNon-ExemptPay FrequencyBiweeklyPay GradeDepends on QualificationsScheduled Weekly Hours37.5Benefits EligibleYesDrug Test RequiredNoHealth Screen RequiredNoMotor Vehicle Record Inquiry RequiredNoPosting Date2019-06-12-07:00Remove from Posting On or Before2019-12-12-08:00Posting StatementThe University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.