Grounds Maintenance Worker
This position is responsible for performing grounds maintenance work on university grounds and landscaped areas as part of a crew.Qualifications
- High school diploma
- Valid driver's license
- Must pass a background check and drug test
- Ability to read, write, and perform basic mathematical calculations
- One year of related experience
- Perform general grounds maintenance work, including sweeping walkways, removing trash, raking leaves and removing weeds.
- Plant, cultivate, water, fertilize, trim and prune trees, plants, shrubs, lawns and fields; remove trees.
- Mow, edge and trim lawns, play fields and athletic fields.
- Operate, maintain and service gardening and grounds maintenance equipment, including power lawn mowers, edger, hedge trimmer, chain saw, hand mower, saws, shears, trucks and turf van; change oil and filters; lubricate, repair, or replace parts; sharpen cutting blades on equipment.
- Operate District vehicles on roads and school grounds; pull trailer needed to haul large power equipment; drive dump trucks to transfer debris to public dump grounds.
- Trap gophers; remove rodents from school grounds. Fill and level turf areas, including removing rocks and reseeding.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Basic methods, materials and tools used in planting, cultivating and caring for lawns, fields, shrubs, trees and plants.
- Hand and power tools and equipment used in grounds maintenance work and field preparation. Occupational hazards and standard safety practices necessary in the area of grounds maintenance.
- Safe driving principles and practices.
- Operate a wide variety of equipment and tools required for grounds maintenance work in a safe and effective manner.
- Operate a motor vehicle safely.
- Learn and correctly interpret and apply the policies, procedures, laws, codes and regulations pertaining to assigned programs and functions
- Guidelines include FVSU key policies, University employee handbook, and departmental policies and procedures.
- These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
- The work consists of varied buildings and grounds maintenance duties.
- The purpose of this position is to assist with the maintenance of University property. Success in this position helps ensure a clean and beautiful campus.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, students, contractors, directors, exterminators, consultants, supervisors, clerical staff, police officers, security personnel, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information and to provide services.
- Must be punctual and able to work Monday-Friday, and occasional evenings and weekends. The work is performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather, and requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, and gloves.
- Ability to lift and carry grounds keeping supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 100 pounds on an occasional basis, prolonged walking or standing, and frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, and reaching on a daily basis.
- Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual, electrically-powered and/or gasoline-powered grounds keeping equipment and machines. Continuous standing and walking for most of an 8 hour work day.