DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Procurement Specialist
Job ID 3600
Location Loop Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
Reporting to the Director of Financial Services & Procurement, the Procurement Specialist will be responsible for reviewing and approving requisitions, supporting the purchasing needs of the university community and assisting with the development of processes to analyze purchasing, spend and other financial data. The Procurement Specialist will need to focus on continued process development while ensuring that various Procurement related programs continue to operate as effectively as possible.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Process purchase requisitions, ensuring that each offers optimal value for the university and is in compliance with associated policies.
- Oversee sourcing of orders ensuring timely fulfillment and proper contractual terms.
- In so doing, this position exercises fiduciary oversight while simultaneously providing the highest level of internal customer service and convenience, working with departments to identify the particular products or services that will best satisfy their needs and helping departments select vendors, negotiate purchase terms, develop contracts, and manage day-to-day interactions with suppliers. This includes assistance with bids, RFPs, MSAs, etc.
- Development and implementation of systems to analyze purchasing, spend and other financial data.
- Work in conjunction with colleagues both within Financial Affairs and external to the division, to ensure that relevant data is made available in a timely manner to decision makers throughout the university.
- Reporting will be used to measure effectiveness, identify potential opportunities and for external reporting purposes.
- Reporting will utilize existing PeopleSoft queries, ProCard system reports, vendor reporting, and other internal systems.
- Effectively coordinate various university/vendor service partnerships, including (but not limited to) the existing FedEx, Staples and R4 partnerships.
- The university's relationship with vendors will be impacted by the change to Oracle Cloud and this will require the significant expansion of the partnerships with vendors.
- The employee will not have to manage the relationships, but once established, will have to ensure the maintenance and coordination of the overall partnership. This may include coordination of access, change management, and effective relationship management.
- Coordinate the revised technology equipment buy back program. This new program will allow departing faculty and staff to, if approved, buy back university owned equipment that was provided to them. This will include the management of requests, price setting and data security in conjunction with Information Services, and coordination of payment by the purchaser.
- With support for student employees, maintain the content on the Procurement website and the Demon Discounts page, ensuring everything is relevant and up to date. Manage student employees, in conjunction with the other Procurement Specialist.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of 4 years experience in a business setting.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Bachelor's degree Accounting/Finance.
- Strong financial analysis and communication (written/verbal) skills.
- Experience in bidding processes and contract reviews/negotiations.
- PeopleSoft or other ERP experience.
- This position will supervise one to three student workers at any given time, in conjunction with the other Procurement Specialist.
- There will be no FT staff reporting to this position.
- The position (and the office) is indirectly responsible for supporting university-wide spend through requisitions, purchase orders and ProCard transactions by ensuring compliance with university policy and good fiscal behavior.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and to create win-win solutions.
- Self motivated individual, able to work in changing environment.
- Ability to work with many individuals at various levels throughout the University.
- Ability to lead and provide oversight.
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills required.
- Strong interpersonal skills required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Advanced spreadsheet, database and word processing skills required, including understanding of relational databases.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
- As a salaried and degreed professional, evening or weekend work may be necessary when deadlines or projects need to be completed.
- A criminal background check is required.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University's mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Required Background Check: