Lead Information Technologist
Posting DetailsPosition Information Posting Number SF00801 Job Title Lead Information Technologist Position Number 107321 FTE 1.00 FLSA Exempt Position Type Professional Staff Union PTAA - Professional/Tech/Admin Assoc Pay Grade Level 14 Pay Grade Range $68,181 - $92,053 Status Calendar Year, Full-time, Permanent Department Information Department Media & Technology Services Contact(s) Contact Phone/Extension Contact Email Physical Demands Campus Location Kingston Grant Funded No Extension Contingency Notes Duties and Responsibilities
POSITION IS OPEN TO CURRENT/ACTIVE URI EMPLOYEES ONLY.
Plan, organize, implement and control activities and courses in the Instructional Technology Center (ITC). Develop training, documentation and online materials. May also assist in scheduling and assigning personnel or act as a project leader. Work closely with learning management system users and interface with University and vendor service providers to resolve customer issues. Provide authoritative assistance to customers, and leadership, direction and training to other staff members. Work independently with initiative, creativity, and attention to detail and require only general supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Plan, organize, and control the activities of a project team; make assignments to other technologists and support staff, check and evaluate progress, and report on the activities of a project team; work both independently and within a team.
Evaluate and analyze customer requirements for services. Conduct independent feasibility studies of software and hardware systems and formulate proposals to management.
Research and evaluate new academic technologies and services used in teaching and education.
Possess and maintain knowledge of current hardware and software system capabilities and limitations, including learning management systems (LMS) and video servers, regarding streaming, accessibility, resolution, formats, and confidentiality.
Provide maintenance and repairs on integrated audio visual systems.
Evaluate and analyze customer requirements for audio visual services.
Provide hands-on support and training for faculty, staff, and student employees using academic and instructional technology, including assistance in the ITC with learning management systems, web conferencing, lecture capture, and other instructional tools that enhance teaching and learning; consult with faculty, staff, and students to determine best use of technology; work with faculty to integrate technology with learning mechanics in the course curriculum.
Develop documentation including best practices when integrating specific technologies in a classroom setting; troubleshoot technical course design issues with faculty. Collaborate with faculty, graduate students, departmental support staff, and IT Support Consultants to provide access to and information about appropriate instructional tools.
Research solutions to Learning Management System user issues. Work closely with other University staff who work on LMS related systems (PeopleSoft, Oracle database, LDAP, Enrollment Services) hosting vendors and other vendors. Document this work within appropriate helpdesk ticketing systems. Act as primary vendor contact for related software license administration.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Respond to technical emergencies outside of normal working hours as needed.
Must be available to work a non-standard schedule in order to fulfill assigned duties and responsibilities.
As part of training, perform functions, normally assigned to management, although to a lesser degree.
Maintain a high level of understanding of current developments in the assigned area of responsibility and anticipate future needs.
Collaborate with co-workers, on departmental and university-wide projects and committees.
LICENSES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
Personal computers, mobile devices, printers and word processing, database management and spreadsheet software; software license administration, email list management, learning management system, social media, and other instructional technologies.Required Qualifications
1. Must be a current/active URI employee.
2. Bachelor’s degree.
3. Either four years’ experience in an information technology position or six years’ experience in a position that included a substantial amount (>50%) of information technology work.
4. Demonstrated ability to provide customer service in the areas of learning management and web conference systems.
5. Demonstrated ability to provide customer service in the area of instructional tools that enhance online and face-to-face teaching and learning.
6. Demonstrated experience using and supporting desktop and mobile computer hardware and software (Windows, Macintosh, Android, and iOS).
7. Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot 3rd party software and data integration with an LMS.
8. Demonstrated ability to work independently.
9. Demonstrated strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
10. Demonstrated proficiency in written communication.
11. Demonstrated project leadership and organizational skills.
12. Demonstrated experience in technical communication.
13. Demonstrated ability to prepare and deliver oral presentations.
14. Demonstrated supervisory experience.
15. Demonstrated ability to prepare and present detailed studies and reports that include recommendations concerning the substance of the studies and reports.
16. Demonstrated ability to interpret and adhere to institutional policies, plans, objectives, rules and regulations, and standards, and communicate the interpretation to others.
17. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
1. Master’s degree.
2. Demonstrated experience in higher education supporting Learning Management Systems (i.e., Sakai or Brightspace).
3. Demonstrated ability to provide support, guidance and leadership to faculty, student and administrators in the planning, development and delivery of online learning platforms within Learning Management Systems in higher education.
4. Demonstrated experience using Google Apps for Education.
5. Demonstrated experience with enterprise database and SQL program organization and debugging.
6. Demonstrated familiarity with programming.
8. Demonstrated familiarity with teaching and with instructional design concepts and principles.
9. Demonstrated experience integrating publisher online courseware solutions with a LMS.
10. Demonstrated experience creating and archiving a system of instructional video modules.
11. Demonstrated experience working in a hosted LMS environment.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.Environmental Conditions
This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.Posting Date 06/10/2019 Closing Date 06/21/2019 Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach the following 3 (PDF) documents to your online Employment Application:
(#1) Cover letter.
(#3) The names and contact information of three professional references.Quicklink for Posting http://jobs.uri.edu/postings/5076 Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a current/active URI employee?
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have either four years' experience in an information technology position or six years' experience in a position that included a substantial amount (>50%) of information technology work?
- * Do you have demonstrated ability to provide customer service in the areas of learning management and web conference systems?
- * Do you have demonstrated ability to provide customer service in the area of instructional tools that enhance online and face-to-face teaching and learning?
- * Do you have demonstrated experience using and supporting desktop and mobile computer hardware and software (Windows, Macintosh, Android, and iOS)?
- * Do you have demonstrated ability to troubleshoot 3rd party software and data integration with an LMS?
- * Do you have demonstrated ability to work independently?
- * Do you have demonstrated strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills?
- * Do you have demonstrated proficiency in written communication?
- * Do you have demonstrated project leadership and organizational skills?
- * Do you have demonstrated experience in technical communication?
- * Do you have demonstrated ability to prepare and deliver oral presentations?
- * Do you have demonstrated supervisory experience?
- * Do you have demonstrated ability to prepare and present detailed studies and reports that include recommendations concerning the substance of the studies and reports?
- * Do you have demonstrated ability to interpret and adhere to institutional policies, plans, objectives, rules and regulations, and standards, and communicate the interpretation to others?
- * Do you have demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations?
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral