Request/Posting Number 0712133
Classification Title Director, Development
Working Title Director of Development for the College of Fine Arts
Job Class # 347000
Type of Position Administrative Professional
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) 100
Department Development - Fundraising - 03060000
Job Category Staff
General Summary The Director of Development serves as the development liaison to the College of Fine Arts (the College) and represents the College in pursuing major gifts (funding commitments of $25,000 or more made via outright, pledged or planned gift arrangements). The individual holding this position will develop and execute strategies and plans to cultivate, solicit and secure major gifts and qualify new major gift prospects. The individual will work in close collaboration with the Dean of the College and will work as needed with other administrators, faculty, and staff of the College. As appropriate, the individual will collaborate with other development officers working on behalf of the Illinois State University's other colleges and administrative units. Primary responsibility will be implemented through regular and frequent visits and other substantive contacts with constituents. Significant travel will be an essential part of the position, as well as occasional participation in evening and weekend activities.
This position will interact with a great deal of people who are very important to the University. The effectiveness of this work contributes to an enhanced institutional image, improved internal and external relationships, development of a philanthropic culture on campus, and the ability to generate private funds for the University.
Required Qualifications 1. Bachelor's degree
2. At least 1-3 years of development/fundraising experience or equivalent work experience in areas that demonstrate the capacity for success in major gift fundraising.
3. Ability to work in a goals-orientated environment.
4. Ability to work under broad policy guidance and exercise sound judgment when making critical decisions under varying degrees of pressure.
5. Ability to facilitate personal interactions in formal and informal social settings.
6. Ability to work in a collaborative environment in which both teamwork and individual initiative is necessary.
7. Highly motivated, assertive, and organized.
8. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
9. Ability to work within a diverse constituencies from all disciplines including donors, faculty, staff, students, and select corporations and foundations.
10. Ability to complete work under deadlines.
11. Understanding and commitment to the mission of higher education in general and specifically the mission of Illinois State University and the College of Fine Arts.
12. Willingness and availability to work evenings and weekends and to travel both in-state and out-of-state.
13. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Desired Qualifications: 1. Demonstrated experience in successful major gift fundraising.
2. Experience working in higher education, with preference to experience working with and/or knowledge of a fine arts environment.
Necessary Licenses/Certifications/Degrees Bachelor's degree
Hiring Rate/Range Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Work Hours 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, M-F, attendance at some evening and weekend events, & required to travel
Proposed Starting Date: July 2019
Posting date 06-11-2019
Closing date Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, email, or mail will not be accepted.
Please prepare in advance separate documents representing a cover letter, reference list (at least three professional references and contact information), and resume/C.V. to attach to this application.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity, and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact Information Clay Gruenwald
Departmental Homepage http://www.universityadvancement.ilstu.edu
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Resume/C.V.
Optional Applicant Documents
Civil Service Test Not Applicable
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
Ability to effectively communicate on a daily basis.
Ability to conduct or attend meetings in various locations on and off campus.
Ability to perform sedentary work involving sitting the majority of the time.