Director of Marketing (DOM-19)
Department:: College Advancement and Marketing
Locations:: Des Plaines / Skokie, IL
Posted:: Jun 5, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.:: DOM-19
About Oakton Community College :
Appointment to an administrator position is contingent upon approval by the College's Board of Trustees.
Oakton Community College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence and learning, invites applications for Director of Marketing.
A premier comprehensive community college, Oakton is 17 miles from downtown Chicago. Oakton serves the near northern suburbs of Chicago with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie with buildings totaling over 700,000 square feet of space resting on 192 acres. These campuses serve almost 10,000 students annually that are enrolled in over 82,000 credit hours of instruction. This position will be based out of the Des Plaines campus. The College's Operating Funds' budget (Education and Operations & Maintenance Funds) for the academic year ending on June 30, 2018 amounts to $65.7 million. The College has undertaken a five year, $68.5 million Master Plan which included the construction and recent opening of the 93,000 square foot Margaret Burke Lee Science and Health Careers building on the Des Plaines campus.
The College is known for its academic innovations, commitment to serving students, solid financial position, and supportive environment for both students and employees. Oakton seeks a Director of Marketing who is an innovative leader and who will continue a strong tradition of excellence.
Candidates with a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton.
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, enhance and promote engagement with other cultures, and have demonstrated a commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Responsible for defining the optimal brand positioning, marketing strategy, and enrollment marketing campaigns to raise visibility and promote Oakton Community College to its various stakeholders. This includes integrated multichannel marketing for all relevant traditional and digital channels. Director supervises the owned properties, paid media, and social platforms of the College and is responsible for developing, executing, and measuring effective implementation.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides leadership and vision for the College's strategic and integrated marketing functions, working with Institutional Research staff to obtain and analyze demographic data to develop appropriate marketing and advertising strategies for the College.
2. Develops and executes comprehensive, long-term and proactive messaging, marketing and branding strategy that is consistent with the strategic goals, priorities, and aspirations of the College.
3. Working closely with Recruitment and Outreach department leadership, implements effective outreach and recruitment campaigns to drive demand and support the successful recruitment of students and the ongoing engagement of community members, driving general college enrollment and promoting targeted programs and services.
4. Provides leadership, vision, and management to editorial and creative teams, ensuring content for all digital and print pieces and channels is consistent with Oakton's mission and vision and that visuals, tone and voice bring to life the unique energy of Oakton's story, campuses and people.
5. Oversees the College's website content, design, and user-experience, ensuring alignment with the College's strategic marketing plan. Collaborate with Information Technology and other departments as needed on website governance including use of content management system and appropriate training.
6. Directs work related to content and creative, advertising, video and photography, publications, website, social media and paid responsive media, search and display, and major college events to advance the priorities, programs and services of the institution. Direct the social media efforts of the College including the development of social media policies and regular postings.
7. Supervises campus event coordination team, including scheduling and booking of non-academic spaces, professional event management of large campus events, and facilities rental enterprise.
8. Develops and controls budgets, staff time and training, scheduling of projects, and sharing of resources to produce and improve the promotional collateral of the College, both internal and external.
9. Works with supervisors to develop timesaving procedures to meet tight deadlines in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
10. Develops and supervises integrated procedures for initiating, tracking and producing promotional collateral. Publishes a current publications and communications services manual and a graphic standards manual for use throughout the College.
11. Determines key performance indicators and quantitative/qualitative analytics to measure and refine performance of integrated marketing tools across all channels. Provides monthly reporting of department activities and outcomes to management.
12. Performs final quality control review/sign off before printing of any piece; reviews and signs off on all invoices and purchase orders for publications.
13. Close collaboration with the Media Relations and Communications leader to convey college brand, voice and messaging.
14. Perform all other job related duties as assigned.
Administrative supervision is received from the Chief Advancement Officer.
Administrative supervision is exercised over full-time and part-time staff employees, and student employees.
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
1. Bachelor's degree in marketing, advertising, public relations or related field is required. A Master's degree is preferred.
2. Ten years of experience in marketing, digital marketing, content strategy, direct marketing, brand development, public relations, advertising or related fields.
3. Ability to contribute to a collaborative work environment is required.
4. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
5. Proven personnel, project, and process management skills.
6. A demonstrated cultural competency and proven experience working collaboratively with colleagues at all levels within an organization is desired. Cultural Competency is defined as a composite awareness, emotional maturity, insights and skills including but not limited to: self-insight and the ability to suspend judgment and take responsibility for self; self-control of emotions and demonstrations of empathy; experience with and success in valuing and working with people of different gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, religion, natural origin, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, etc; adaptability and flexibility in understanding and addressing problems and opportunities in situations where different cultural perspectives and points of view apply.
7. Experienced with the Microsoft Office suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and Google Suites (calendaring, email, Docs and Drive).
8. Experience with Google analytics, email and web content management systems and social media preferred.
9. General office environment. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions. Ability to travel between campuses and to off-site events required.
The salary range associated with the Director of Marketing Minimum annual salary: $91,588. Salary midpoint: $121,381 Maximum annual salary: $151,169 Placement in the salary range is based on educational qualifications, related experience, and internal equity.
To become an applicant, interested individuals must complete the online application linked from the posting found on the Oakton website. Electronic copies of a cover letter, resume/cv, list of three (3) references with contact information and transcripts must be submitted by the applicant via uploading to the Oakton employment website. Please indicate the position code (DOM-19) on the cover letter. Uploaded documents need to be under 2 MB in size and in either .doc, .txt, or .pdf format. A total of 8 separate documents may be uploaded to an application file that has been successfully submitted to the College.
An UNOFFICIAL copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time of application by the applicant.
***Official transcripts for all degrees earned are only required prior to appointment.***
Official transcripts or a placement/credential file should be e-mailed to [email protected]
Official transcripts or placement/credential files sent by postal mail should be sent to:
Oakton Community College
Director of Marketing (DOM-19)
c/o Human Resources Department
1600 East Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Please contact Matthew Robitaille, Employment Coordinator at 847.635.1868 or [email protected] if you encounter any difficulties with electronic submission of these documents.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Interviewees will be reimbursed for expenses associated with travel in excess of 50 miles to the interviews.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.