Transfer Admissions Counselor
Posting DateJune 11, 2019 Position TitleTransfer Admissions Counselor Vacancy #V-1665 DepartmentUndergraduate Admissions DivisionStudent Devel And Campus Life Job Description
Under the direction of the Senior Assistant Director for Operations & Transfer Services, this position recruits prospective freshman and transfer students and evaluates transfer credits/credentials upon students’ admission to Montclair State University. This position requires a work schedule consisting of evenings, weekends, and overtime during peak periods of operation.
- Reviews and processes applications; makes determinations of eligibility and recommends admission and/or approval of the applicant to the university for a particular program
- Coordinates transfer work operations, evaluates academic transcripts for course equivalencies, maintains and organizes documentation
- Screens, verifies, and evaluates data on admissions applications and transcript materials
- Assists in the development and delivery of on and off-campus events and programs
- Represents the college by participating in or speaking at conferences, meetings, seminars, etc.
- Recruits at high schools and community colleges within the tri-state area
- Advises and counsels applicants regarding program offerings, activities, and services
- Possesses the ability to understand, analyze, interpret and apply established law, college policies and procedures, regulation, precedents, and guidelines
- Facilitates initial communication between accepted students and academic advisement to assure a positive transition that leads to matriculation
- Prepares clear, technically sound, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, recommendations, and prepare correspondence
- Maintains essential and confidential records and files
- Serves on ad hoc and standing university committees
- Manages special populations and their admissions process as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
- Graduation from an accredited college or University with a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent as determined by hiring authority
- A minimum of three years of professional work experience in higher education, in a directly related position; Master’s degree may be substituted for up to two years of experience
- Experience with various computer programs, including Microsoft Office products and an integrated student information system; a demonstrated ability to learn new systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think independently
- A strong interest in working in a fast-paced, service-oriented, diverse environment
- Retain the ability to think creatively and analytically to continuously improve services and information provided to prospective students and their parents
- A valid driver’s license and full-time access to a vehicle
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and occasional holidays
- Graduation from an accredited college or University with a Master’s Degree in a field directly related to the position
- Professional work experience with transfer students and transfer credit evaluations
- Proficiency in use of Slate, Banner, and DegreeWorks
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).