Clinical Experience Specialist - College of Education, School and Community Experiences (115876)
Clinical Experience Specialist
School and Community Experiences
College of Education
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
The Clinical Experience Specialist for School and Community Experiences (SCE) works closely with the Director of SCE and the Director of Teacher Education in the College of Education (CoE) to support clinical education for the Department of Curriculum and Instruction’s licensure programs. In addition to managing day-today placement activities, the Specialist support candidates and cooperating personnel in matters pertaining to the integration of field experiences throughout the curricula, licensure testing, and special programming to enhance clinical education of pre-service teachers.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Curricular and Programmatic Responsibilities
- Assist in the development and implementation of programs, policies, and objectives related to clinical experiences, in general, and the operation of SCE specifically:
- Cooperating teacher applications
- Candidate, cooperating teacher, and supervisor handbooks
- Clinical observation/evaluation instruments/tools
- Content test processes/policies
- Provide overall leadership on special projects, as assigned (e.g., Global Field Experiences student teaching experiences, Illinois Educator supplemental evaluation rubric, candidate dispositions, supervisor trainings and meetings, seminar lesson planning, Danielson realignment)
- Provide advice and expertise to College and University units, interpreting policies of SCE and integration of those in broader dialogues
- Act as a liaison to campus and university units to assist with evaluation of policies and compliance with them
- Serve as an expert in specific areas of SCE operations, providing the Director with reports, analyses, information, and recommendations:
- edTPA preparation and formative field experiences
- Classroom management development through systematic field-based experiences and potential course integration
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) integration in clinical education curricula
- Co-facilitate, with the Director, placements for candidates, including the recruitment of cooperating teachers, the assignment of candidates to classrooms across their programs of study, the orientation of students to the field experiences, and support of candidates to meet the requirements of each experience; specifically coordinate clinical education experiences of candidates in Early Childhood, Elementary, and Middle Grades programs
- Conduct observational visits to school sites, provide feedback to candidates and consider the appropriateness of placements
Other Support to Teacher Candidates
- Serve as the SCE representative on all matters related to the edTPA and licensure examinations; work closely with various College advisors and edTPA coordinator
- Serve as an intermediary clinical supervisor for students in need of additional support
- Support students in the remediation process on content area assessments
- Participate in activities related to:
- Mentoring and induction of new and beginning teachers
- Job placement upon graduation
- Assume duties of Director in his/her absence
- Represent SCE/Director, as requested, at college, campus, school, and community events
- Provide support to the Director, serving as staff advisor and performing regular support tasks, as assigned
- Oversight of published SCE resources (website and Box)
- Evaluations compliance, in accordance with CoTE initiatives (field experiences, exit surveys, graduate surveys, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned to ensure a seamless experience for students
Required Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field of study
- Experience in K-12 schools
Preferred Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Coursework beyond Master’s Degree or Administrative License
- Experience in the field of teacher education
- Tracking and assessing student success
- Working with academic faculty and staff to coordinate a program and student placement or supervision
The Clinical Experience Specialist position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position. This is a 10-month service position paid over 12 months. The start date for the position is August 16, 2019, and the deadline for applying is July 9, 2019. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To ensure full consideration application materials must be received by July 9, 2019. Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume, and the names, address, phone numbers and email addresses of three professional references. For more information about the position, please contact Kathryn Kernick at [email protected] The proposed starting date is August 16, 2019. Interviews may take place prior to the closing date; however, no decision will be made until after that date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit:College of Education Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Clinical Experience Specialist - College of Education, School and Community Experiences (115876) Open Date:06/11/2019 Close Date:07/09/2019 Organization Name:Clinical Exper.