Salary: $46,920.00 - $62,796.00 Annually
Job Type: Classified - Full-time
Job Number: 5795-c-06/19
Closing: 6/25/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Visalia, CA
Department: Student Services
Under the direction of the Dean of Student Services, the Counseling Technician will assist in organizing and coordinating activities in assigned area. Will work with setting counseling appointments for students, communicate with international students regarding the College academic policies and admissions procedures, and provide clerical support for the counseling division.
This position is assigned to the Visalia Campus, Monday through Friday 7:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting employees who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
Job duties of the Counseling Technician include:
- Compile and maintain student records; prepare a variety of reports, and correspondences related to assigned activities.
- Develop and prepare flyers for advertising workshops and other services to students.
- Operate computer terminal to retrieve student information for review.
- Prepare a variety of student information and records for review and use by counselors.
- Utilize the District's integrated software in performing the required duties of the position.
- Communicate with international students in person, on the telephone, email and by mail regarding the college and admissions procedures.
- Prepare, review and process the documents required by the U. S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE); review records to assure the College is in compliance with immigration laws.
- Serve as the Administrator of SARS Grid and SARS Admin, SARS Track and Problem Solver.
- Input master records/schedules for counselors/staff in SARS. Train personnel to use SARS Grid, run SARS reports, set up new locations within SARS, and other SARS related tasks.
- Update counseling and international student website along with appropriate web forms.
- Administer US Constitution Testing to include scheduling, proctoring, correcting, and issuing of letters for passing scores. Maintenance of accurate constitution test data.
- I-20 creation, such as initial I-20's, CPT, OPT, OPT employment updates (reviewing and verifying documents for complete information, follow-up with or provide assistance to students to gather all required documentation).
- Prepare and update tuition/fees and living expenses for I-20 creation.
- Provide secretarial assistance to the Counseling Division as needed; answering telephones, typing correspondence/meeting minutes, making appointments, booking hotel and conference reservations and assisting college personnel, students and the public as needed. Perform other receptionist activities as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Education & Experience):
Any combination equivalent to:
- A.A. degree
- Three years of increasingly responsible experience in a community college student services area such as counseling or admissions and records.
- Indoor environment.
- Constant interruptions.
- Ability to communicate with students/public.
- Ability to read documents.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended period of time.
- Ability to reach in all directions.
- Ability to operate a computer and office equipment.
The hiring committee is seeking evidence of the following:
- District organization, operations, policies and objectives.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skill using tact, patience and courtesy.
- USCIS laws, regulations and documents.
- Communicate with international students regarding the College and admissions procedures.
- Explain policies and regulations related to matriculation, USCIS and the College.
- Audit a variety of materials for USCIS and program compliance.
- Work under direct supervision in a teamwork environment.
- Compile and organize data for reporting purposes.
- Operate a computer and other office equipment as assigned.
- Plan and organize work, meet schedules and time lines.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Train and provide work direction to others.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Work confidentially with discretion.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Learn, interpret, apply and explain applicable Federal, State and college laws, rules and regulations.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Work closely with the Dean of Student Services and Counseling Division Chair
To be considered applicants must submit ALL of the following required material before or by the filing deadline:
- An online job application.
- Letter of interest which addresses how the applicant's experience and/or education enables him/her to be able to perform the job duties.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts of college/university work (officials required upon employment)
Full-time classified employees enjoy a number of benefits while working at the College of the Sequoias. These benefits include:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (for more information, please visit "Employee Insurance" on COS' Human Resources webpage at: http://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Insurance.aspx
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan (PERS)
01 Do you have an AA degree?
- Letter of Interest/Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cos/jobs/2474211/counseling-technician
COLLEGE OF THE SEQUOIAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The College of the Sequoias Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color, language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry national origin, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency