Assistant Professor #496447
Position DetailsPosition Information Posting Number Classification Title FA990 Position Title Assistant Professor #496447 FLSA Salary Commensurate Job Summary/Basic Function
The Department of Counseling at Lamar University is seeking applications for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor in Counselor Education position with expertise in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and/or Marriage and Family Counseling. This position will begin September 1, 2019. The
successful candidate will teach both on-campus and online graduate classes in the counseling core for the CACREP accredited Clinical Mental Health Counseling and/or the School Counseling Program.
In addition to teaching, the candidates will maintain an active research and publication agenda; assist in the coordination of the counseling programs; supervise and advise master’s level students; and fulfill service responsibilities to the department, college, university and counseling profession. Candidates will be expected to work in collaboration with other colleagues in the College of Education and Human Development as well as with our community partners.
Home to more than 14,000 students, Lamar University is a Carnegie Doctoral Research University and is one of the fastest growing universities in the Texas State University System. Lamar University offers more than 100 programs of study leading to bachelor’ s, master ’ s and doctoral degrees. The
270-acre campus in Beaumont is about 90 miles east of Houston and about 25 miles west of Louisiana. Lamar University stresses academic achievement by emphasizing hands-on learning at all levels, providing ample opportunities for undergraduate research and supporting an excellent Honors
Program. The university is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The College of Education and Human Development is accredited by NCATE/CAEP.
The Lamar University campus is conveniently located within easy reach of Houston, TX, Lake Charles, LA, and surrounding communities.
-An earned doctorate in Counselor Education from an accredited program
-Professional identity as a counselor educator
-Commitment to the professional field of counselor education as evidenced by education, teaching, research, and professional affiliations, such as ACA, ACES, AMHCA, ASCA, and AAMFT
-Minimum of two years of experience teaching graduate level courses
- Active research agenda in counseling, counselor education or marriage, couples and family counseling.
-Commitment to diversity
-Experience in online education is preferred
- Licensure (or eligible) as a professional counselor or marriage and family therapist
-Experience in community agencies or marriage and family counseling settings is preferred
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Security Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Lamar Expectation of Quality
Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.Disclaimer
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This description is subject to modification as the needs and requirements of the position change. Lamar University reserves the right to revise, change or eliminate this job description at any time.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to the needs of the university.
This Job Description is not intended to be a contract of employment or a legal document. Employment with Lamar University is at will, and may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this Job Description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Lamar University employees.Posting Detail Information Open Date 11/13/2018 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Please visit our website at http://www.lamar.edu for more information.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should apply online at https://jobs.lamar.edu/ and include curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy and research agenda/interests, and three professional references. For inquiries, please contact the Interim Department Chair, Dr. Wendy Greenidge, at [email protected]
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * In what field did you earn your Doctorate degree?
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * How many years of experience do you have teaching at the higher education level? Also briefly list if you have graduate and/or online teaching experience & years of experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research Interest
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Letter of Reference 3
- Unofficial Transcript 1