Legal Support Professional
DescriptionUniversity Counsel has a dual report to the Board of Regents and the president of the university and includes several legal functions that provide an array of services to the University of Colorado system. The Office of the University Counsel provides legal advice to the Board of Regents, the president, system administration and the campuses.
The Legal Support Professional provides administrative support, legal support, and constituent service support to ensure the ongoing and efficient operation of the University Counsel office. This position demonstrates independent and effective decision-making, analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to manage multiple, complex and concurrent projects or tasks. The Legal Support Professional will need to have the ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure; requiring limited general supervision for day-to-day tasks. The University Counsel team works closely together and the work is fast paced. This is not a large office, so everyone is asked to pitch in and help regardless of title. A successful candidate must be able to recognize issues, propose possible resolution, follow-up, solve problems, and work collaboratively, positively, and professionally in a team environment. This position reports to the Senior Managing Associate Counsel and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support to attorneys and other support staff, which may include:
- Preparing outgoing mail
- Greeting visitors, including university, state, and federal officials
- Maintaining electronic and hard copy filing systems
- Maintaining legal publications
- Scheduling meetings and resolving associated conflicts
- Maintaining office equipment and coordinate service calls
- Serve as building proctor and report maintenance issues.
- Serve as University Counsel liaison to a wide array of University constituents, including affiliates.
- Serve as first line IT liaison and coordinate maintenance and repairs.
- Maintain and purchase office supplies through Marketplace.
- Prepare mileage and minor expenditure reimbursements through Concur.
- Calendar relevant deadlines through Outlook.
- Issue legal holds using the Exterro platform.
- Draft letters, memos, pleadings, and other documents as requested.
- Contact parties to obtain information.
- Proofread written documents, memos, and pleadings before transmission or filing with courts or administrative agencies.
- Route and track contracts, leases, and other legal agreements.
- Collect, organize, index, code, review, and produce documents for disclosure, including in response to Colorado Open Records Act requests.
- Prepare exhibits for pleadings, administrative agency responses and/or mediations.
- Update and maintain case files and open case reports.
Advanced Legal Responsibilities
- Review matters to identify allegations, legal issues, key witnesses, and custodians.
- Schedule, attend, and conduct witness interviews.
- Review and edit low risk template agreements under the supervision of an attorney.
- Under attorney supervision, draft position statements and responses to administrative agency actions, including EEOC, CCRD, OCR, and State Personnel Board.
- Make initial determination regarding privileged documents requiring redaction.
- Prepare chronologies, charts, and demonstrative exhibits.
- Research legal issues, codes, rules, and statutes and draft memos as requested.
- Coordinate with affiliates and providers regarding treating provider subpoenas.
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of office management.
- Knowledge of federal and state rules and regulations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to deliver a high level of commitment to customer service.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, constituents and the public.
- Skilled in utilizing Adobe Acrobat Pro, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook software applications.
- Ability to interpret and apply complex rules and regulations, including federal and state law, administrative agency policy and procedures, and University and campus policies.
- Ability to present themselves professionally at all times in both their appearance and their demeanor.
- Ability to adhere to the highest level of confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to manage shifting priorities including dealing with constant interruptions and distractions.
Salary: The salary has been established at $55,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience. (The educational requirement may be substituted by professional legal or paralegal-related experience on a year for year basis).
- Two (2) years of prior legal assistant or paralegal experience.
- Prior employment law experience
- Paralegal certificate or paralegal studies degree
- Proficiency with Westlaw, WestNext, Lexis Nexis or other comparable legal research platform including electronic court filing systems
- Professional experience providing legal support services in a higher education setting
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and initiatives
- Familiarity with the Colorado Open Records Act
Job Category: Audit and Legal
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Jun 11, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing