Physiology and Pathology Instructor
This position provides an opportunity for a post-doctoral scientist to explore their interest in medical education and acquire foundational skills in the scholarship of teaching and learning. This individual will work as part of an inter-professional team within the Department of Physiology and Pathology to support the continuous improvement of our educational program. They will actively participate in the development, implementation and assessment of team-based learning activities designed to enhance the cardiovascular, renal, pulmonary and endocrine courses offered in the first-year medical school curriculum. Substantive contributions to publications and other scholarly works are also expected. Participation in the Medical Education Development program at BCOM will further enhance the instructor’s knowledge and comprehension of best practices in medical education. Additional opportunities will be available to expand the instructor’s skill set in areas such as “flipped classroom” techniques, the use of educational technology, and large classroom instruction. Observation of educational and review sessions related to the instructor’s field of interest will be encouraged. Professional development funds will be available to attend at least one educational conference.
Primary responsibilities will involve teaching osteopathic medical students in the integrated, systems-based curriculum of the 1st academic year. The instructor will participate in the development of discipline-based components of the curriculum, which will be collaboratively designed and taught by basic science and clinical faculty to provide students with a highly integrated presentation of immediate relevance to patient care.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
• Ph.D. or other terminal degree in Physiology, Pathology, or a related discipline
• Prior teaching experience at the university, graduate school or medical school level
• Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching physiology and/or pathology
• Commitment to supporting diversity and an ability to work with persons of all backgrounds
• Two or more years of post-doctoral experience
• Demonstrated experience in qualitative and quantitative research methods, the theories that underlie these approaches, and the ability to translate ideas into testable research questions
• Solid understanding of cardiovascular, pulmonary, renal and/or endocrine physiology
• Prior success with publications, presentations, and grant applications
• The ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team environment
•Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Basic computer proficiency, with working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Although not essential, preference may be given to applicants with the following skills or attributes:
• Knowledge of educational and learning theories and approaches
• Working knowledge of learning management systems and learning assessment tools
• Ability to perform statistical analyses
Duration: This is a one-year full-time appointment, eligible for 1 additional year renewal based on merit. Start date: September 1, 2019
NOTE TO APPLICANTS: Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
How to Apply:
Application materials should include: A Curriculum Vitae; a cover letter which includes detailed statements of teaching experience and philosophy, scholarly (research) interests, and academic and professional experience; and the names and contact information of three referees from whom the applicant has requested letters of recommendation (to be forwarded directly to BCOM). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, and should be submitted by electronic submission (online application) to the BCOM Office of Human Resources, see link below or visit the Career Opportunities page on the BCOM website. https://bcomnm.org/online-application/
BCOM is an equal opportunity employer
and values diversity in our faculty and staff as an important aspect of the educational process. BCOM encourages individuals with varied backgrounds and experience to apply.