Library Assistant (IHP Staff)
The Janis P. Bellack Library is the library for the graduatehealth sciences programs offered at MGH Institute of Health Professions. TheBellack Library is a solutions focused, collaborative and dynamic workenvironment that supports the research and education of over 1700 students andover 100 full time faculty.
The successful Library Assistant is energetic, friendly, andservice-oriented staff member who welcomes the opportunity to engage in a broadrange of activities. The Library Assistant is a core member of the Library andInstructional Design team who performs many support activities involved inoperating a library, including:
- Outreachand engagement – coordinating and promoting upcoming events, workshops, andlearning opportunities, registering and communicating with participants, anddistributing evaluations, coordinating the library’s social media calendar,producing social media content, actively seeks out collaborations with studentgroups for events, develops monthly thematic library displays
- AccessServices – collection inventory, collection access improvements, checkingmaterials in and out with users, running circulation reports, contactingoverdue borrowers and retrieving overdue materials, copy cataloging andpreparing new materials to circulate.
- Coursereserves –assembling course reading lists, identifying library materials,soliciting reserves from faculty, entering reserves into the library managementsystem, and returning personal copies to faculty
- InformationServices - staffing the help desk and chat reference app, monitoring Ask aLibrarian email, answering frontline questions when possible and referringusers to librarians when more expertise is needed; checking quality of onlineresource guides
- Collectingand presenting data and statistics – includes library statistics for submissionto various agencies, assessment statistics from events and workshops, and alsocollection, web usage, and user experience data
- Officemanagement - ordering supplies, timekeeping, and communicating with CampusServices about facilities issues
There will be many opportunities for growth within theseresponsibilities according to the employee’s interests and abilities. Desired qualities include flexibility,problem solving, and openness to new challenges. The Library Assistant activelycontributes to the MGH Institute of Health Profession’s efforts to foster adiverse and inclusive campus community.
30% Outreach and Engagement
20% Access Services
15% Course Reserves
20% Information Services
5% Keeping data and statistics
5% Office management
- Bachelor’sdegree requiredor five or more years’ experience working inan office environment.
- Some experience workingin an academic library desired.
- Eventor program planning experience desired.
- Demonstratedability to create attractive and engaging social media content desired
Administrative Skills- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;customer-oriented. Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and frequentinterruptions. Good organizational skills and attention to detail.. Must beable to function as a team player and be willing to take on additional dutiesas requested.
Technical Skills- Facility with personalcomputers and related software applications including MS Word, Excel,PowerPoint, and Outlook, as well as social media platforms.
Physical Capabilities – The physical demands described here arerepresentative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully performthe essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals withdisabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, theemployee is regularly required to be mobile; use hands to finger, handle orfeel objects, tools or controls; and communicate orally. Specific vision abilities required by thisjob include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Primary Location: MA-Charlestown-MGH IHP
MGH IHP (MGHCharlestownIHP)
36 First Avenue
Job: Administrative Support
Organization: Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Jun 10, 2019