Software Developer 1
Software Developer 1
Job Number: 83463
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 300,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 735 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology and Communications.
R&DE Information Technology consists of 26 full and part-time staff. The department is organized into six teams: CIO office, Portfolio and Project Management Office, Software Development, Support Services, Security, and Systems & Operations. R&DE IT supports over 65 applications and integrations, 2,200 technology assets, and 900+ users. In addition to providing excellence in everything they do, R&DE IT is dedicated to the mission and core values of Residential & Dining Enterprises.The R&DE IT Software Developer is a member of the R&DE IT Software Development Team, reporting to the Manager of Software Development and Integration, and uses his/her technical knowledge to develop, enhance, optimize, and maintain key R&DE applications that are used by students and/or staff. The Team interfaces with other R&DE teams, campus partners and vendors to ensure high performance and availability of R&DE applications, and to explore emerging technologies. We align workflows and priorities with the overall goals of R&DE and we aim to be accountable for the quality of our work. We are results oriented, and we embrace organizational and technology change in making our contribution to the R&DE vision of excellence.
The R&DE IT Software Developer will have a significant role in service delivery, and will need to consider the reliability and security of the computing environment and the needs of the R&DE community to be among their highest priorities. Key responsibilities for this position include supporting our main housing assignments system, StarRez. Activities related to StarRez support include the implementation and configuration of new modules, managing and monitoring integration with other systems and providing second level user support. The team develops custom solutions, integrations, and customizations to enterprise systems. The software development environment in R&DE utilizes a mix of Microsoft.Net and Java frameworks. R&DE IT staff are committed to deepening their knowledge and skillset through professional development activities, they display careful attention to detail and they are equally comfortable working as a member of a team or individually. “Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
JOB PURPOSE:Execute all programming tasks, including programming, analyzing, designing, developing, implementing, modifying, and maintaining computer programs. Work on systems of small to moderate size and complexity or segments of larger systems. CORE DUTIES*:
- Assess user needs and requirements.
- Design and develop applications that may involve sophisticated data manipulation.
- Maintain and update existing programs.
- Troubleshoot and solve technical problems.
- Create programs to meet reporting and analysis needs.
- Design and implement user and operations training programs.
- Document changes in software for end users.
- Follow team software development methodology.
- Serve as technical resource with respect to applications.
- Ensure compliance with applicable security and privacy policies and guidelines.
- Write reports and status updates.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Education & Experience: Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Current knowledge of latest software development and design standards.
- Experience with database engines such as SQL Server and Oracle
- Experience with StarRez is a plus
- Experience with File Maker Pro is a plus
- Experience with Business Objects reporting tools is a plus
- Ability to define and solve logical problems for technical applications.
- Knowledge of and ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods.
- Ability to recognize and recommend needed changes in user and/or operations procedures.
- Basic knowledge of software engineering principles.
- Strong knowledge of at least one programming language.
- ITIL v3 Foundations preferred
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- May work extended hours, evening and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4821
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: I
- Requisition ID: 83463
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises, Redwood City, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency