Librarian (Emphasis in User Experience and Technology)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleLibrarian (Emphasis in User Experience and Technology)Position TypeFacultyTenure InformationTenure TrackPosition Code2FLR05FTE1.0Pay Rate (or Annual Salary)$62,035 - $88,687/annualFLSAExemptJob LocationChabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545DepartmentLibraryJob Summary
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Librarian (Emphasis in User Experience and Technology) for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
The Librarian (with emphasis in User Experience and Technology) plays a key role in creating an excellent experience for both physical and virtual users of Chabot Library. The Librarian develops methodologies to measure changing student/faculty needs in library services, technology, and develops implementation plans for innovations that better reflect changing trends in student, faculty and staff needs.
In collaboration with the other Chabot Librarians, recommend options for innovation and engage with other Public Services staff for planning and implementation. The Librarian supports faculty and conducts and reviews all facets of cataloging and the course reserves, including copyright compliance.Representative Duties
1. Develops and conducts qualitative and quantitative user needs/usability studies, including surveys, interviews, focus groups, and observations. to assess changing user experiences/needs, preferences, and trends with the goal of continual improvement.
• Creates, compiles, maintains, and utilizes system statistics and reports to evaluate workflows and develop enhancements to circulation, course reserves, reference, and instructional services.
• Coordinates circulation services and front desk activities, including all circulation notices and communications, with the goal of providing excellent customer/user experience.
• Collaborates with other librarians to assess and improve the library’s online and social media presence.
• Communicates and collaborates with library colleagues on user studies.
• Based on user and library staff input, plans and develops innovative projects, services, and programs.
• With Library staff, supports faculty on providing excellent library course reserves and other related services, including review and implementation of technology and procedural upgrades.
2. Troubleshoots, upgrades, evaluates and manipulates the Library System Platform (LSP) to optimize functionality.
3. Performs original and copy cataloging of all formats of library materials to facilitate their identification, access, and use.
• Interprets and apply Library of Congress subject headings, the AACR2, RDA, and the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) manuals in cataloging and classifying library materials
4. Provides reference, instruction, and technology support to library patrons.
5. Provides individual and group training to library staff.
6. Participates in campus and district professional activities, which may include but are not limited to, committee membership, staff development, and collegial meetings.
7. Continues to keep current with Library user interface trends and innovations.
8. Has strong oral and written communication skills to be able to convey/explain information and train staff.
9. Demonstrates sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities.
10. Regularly scheduled hours could include evenings.Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s in library science, library and information science, OR the equivalent.Minimum Qualifications
Master’s in library science, library and information science, OR the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 11:59:59 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2019 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.Desirable Qualifications
1. Experience in usability testing, conducting of focus groups, creating effective surveys and other approaches for planning improvement in future user experience to improve web interface design.
3. Experience providing reference, public, and/or general customer service to a wide array of users, physically and remotely.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with current library standards and practices, especially in the areas of circulation, interlibrary loan, and patron privacy.
5. Knowledge of Library-related systems such as Alma/Primo, Worldshare, EBSCOhost Discovery System, Libguides, Syndetics, EZProxy and Stackmap.
6. Experience in systems/program development, including programming, analysis and design, testing, implementation, and information architecture.
7. Strong background and experience with services to the mobile user, including use of mobile devices (smartphones and tablets), sending library notices as text messages, scanning barcodes from mobile devices, library apps, mobile websites, and RSS feeds, and social media including Facebook, and Twitter.
8. Familiarity with MARC formats for bibliographic and authority records, and familiarity with RDA, AACR2, LCSH and other relevant cataloging standards.
9. Experience providing information competency instruction in an academic library.Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2019. Employment will begin on or about August 15, 2019.Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALSWITHDISABILITIESWHOAREUNABLE TO CARRYOUTTHEPHYSICALACTIVITIES OF THEPOSITIONWILLRECEIVEREASONABLEACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLETHEM TO PERFORMTHEESSENTIALFUNCTIONS OF THEPOSITION.Posting Detail Information Posting NumberF89POpen Date06/11/2019Close Date08/02/2019Open Until FilledNoSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsNotification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Write in up to 250 words how you would manage a migration to a new LSP with classified Library staff. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 1."
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Response to Supplemental Question 1
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement