Job no: 496353
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Communications / PR / Marketing
Bucknell University seeks a talented and creative storyteller to join its Division of Communications as a Communications Writer. The Communications Writer will contribute to a highly collaborative team that implements the University’s marketing and communications strategy across print and digital media.
The Communications Writer will be responsible for producing creative, story-driven content for distribution across multiple print and digital channels that aligns with Bucknell’s brand strategy and enhances the University’s reputation. The writer will also work in close collaboration with Communications colleagues to produce additional social media, photography, video, media relations and marketing content.
Qualified candidates must be strong writers with a proven ability to create compelling content for a variety of audiences. A versatility and enthusiasm for adapting to new writing styles and writing for an array of age groups, constituencies and goals is also key. Relevant experience may include work in:
● Education marketing and communications.
● Corporate, nonprofit or government marketing and communications.
● Public relations.
● Advertising copywriting.
● Corporate, nonprofit or government social media content creation.
Experience cultivating sources and building relationships, leading interviews, writing persuasively and measuring effectiveness with data will also contribute to the Communication Writer’s success.
The successful candidate should be willing to share their perspectives, learn from the perspectives of others and contribute to an environment of diversity and inclusiveness.
Applicants should provide a resume, cover letter and three published, nonfiction writing samples that demonstrate a strong storytelling ability and creativity. Finalists for the position will also be asked to complete writing and editing tests.
● Bachelor’s degree.
● One year of professional writing experience, demonstrated by a portfolio of published nonfiction work.
● Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal communications, writing, grammar and editing.
● Record of success in creating persuasive messaging.
● Proven skills in creativity, analysis and problem-solving, and the ability to evaluate, synthesize, and incorporate ideas and feedback from multiple stakeholders.
● Superb organizational and project-management skills.
● Ability to adapt to rapidly changing communications channels and work well both independently and collaboratively.
● Commitment to diversity, inclusiveness and the sharing of perspectives across differences.
● Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations, English or a related field.
● Experience working in higher education.
● Experience collaborating with other creative professionals, such as photographers, videographers, and marketing and social media specialists.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 07 Jun 2019 Eastern Daylight Time