Assistant Professor in African American and Africana Studies
Posting DetailsPosting Details Job Title Assistant Professor in African American and Africana Studies Requisition Number FE01973 Working Title Department Name 8E050:Geography Work Location Lexington, KY Type of Position Faculty Position Time Status Full-Time Tenure Track Status Tenure Track Required Education
PhD must have been awarded at time of appointmentRequired Related Experience
Demonstrated research focused on Africa, African Americans, and/or the African Diaspora, in geography or a related discipline.Required License/Registration/Certification
The program in African American and Africana Studies (AAAS) at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, KY invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. We are inaugurating an interdisciplinary major with a significant new investment by the College of Arts and Sciences, and support from other colleges and programs in the University, and we are recruiting several faculty for this growing program. We are searching for a scholar whose research and teaching will complement our faculty, add breadth and richness to our new major. We seek a specialist whose research is focused on black geographies, mass incarceration, the carceral state, and the intersection of race, space, and gender, with a geographic focus on the US South. The appointment would be in the geography department, and teaching and service would be allocated between Geography and AAAS. Candidates who have successfully developed curricula for new programs, and who have worked within interdisciplinary contexts, are especially urged to apply.
A Ph.D. or equivalent must have been awarded at the time of appointment. To apply, please submit:
• A letter of application
• A current CV
• A teaching statement (upload under Specific Request 1)
• Either an article-length writing sample or a documentation of a sample of work from your portfolio (depending upon your discipline). Please upload under Writing Sample.
• A one to two page reflection on commitment, approaches, and insights related to inclusion, diversity, and equity (please upload under Specific Request 2). As a program and university, we are strongly committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.
• Contact information for at least three references when prompted in the application. This information may be used to solicit reference letters from your contacts within the employment system.
Candidates may direct questions to Search Committee Chair Dr. Patricia Ehrkamp at [email protected]Skills / Knowledge / Abilities Does this position have supervisory responsibilities? No Preferred Education/Experience Deadline to Apply 06/17/2019 Open Until Filled No University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's Online Employment System?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Academic Keys
- Latinos in Higher Education
- A colleague, friend, and/or family member
- None of the Above
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vita
- Writing Sample
- Specific Request 1
- Specific Request 2