Laboratory Technician - Science (Biology)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Posting Title Laboratory Technician - Science (Biology) Location Los Rios Community College District (American River College) Department Location Science Posting Number C00944P The Institution
Founded in 1955, American River College (ARC) is one of the largest institutions of higher education in the Sacramento region, serving about 30,000 diverse students each fall and spring at its main campus and centers.
The college has an outstanding record for academic quality and is among the top community colleges in the state for transferring students to the University of California and California State University systems. The College offers education and support for students to strengthen basic skills, earn associate degrees and certificates, transfer to other colleges and universities, and achieve career as well as other academic and personal goals. ARC also has a strong reputation for its wide array of career programs, in areas such as Healthcare, Hospitality, Human Services, Business & Computer Science, Public Safety, Applied Arts, Advanced Transportation and Manufacturing and Apprenticeship.
Our vision is to transform the future of all students and our community through inclusive, equitable education. The college seeks individuals who share our mission of placing students first by providing an academically rich, inclusive environment that inspires critical thinking, learning and achievement, and responsible participation in the community.
Our Commitment to Social Justice & Equity
American River College strives to uphold the dignity and humanity of every student and employee. We are committed to equity and social justice through equity-minded education, transformative leadership, and community engagement. We believe this commitment is essential to achieving our mission and enhancing our community. The college seeks candidates who are committed to culturally inclusive practices and serving ARC’s student population. Faculty and staff are encouraged to engage in ongoing development of their professional skills. The college thus supports employee engagement in a broad range of trainings, workshops and activities such as the Equity Action Institute, the New Faculty Academy, and the Classified Leadership Academy. In addition, faculty and staff regularly participate in trainings offered through the college’s Center for Teaching and Learning and its Instructional Technology Center.
Under general supervision of the assigned manager/supervisor, performs specialized and technical duties in the operation and maintenance of science instructional laboratories and stockrooms including hazardous material storage, clean up, and disposal. Prepares, receives, stocks, and issues laboratory supplies, materials, and equipment; coordinates budgetary requisitions and expenditures for laboratory supplies and equipment, repairs, alterations, preventative maintenance contracts, and blanket purchase orders; and trains and directs student help. [For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employees Association (White Collar) posting Job Descriptions click here] Job Descriptions click here].
This position is assigned to the Science Department.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 15 days’ vacation yearly (with increases after 5 & 10 years) and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full LRCEA contract agreement details)Assignment Responsibilities
● Generates purchase orders for supplies, materials, and equipment needed for laboratories; and prepares instructional materials and equipment for instructor demonstrations and student use.
● Organizes and facilitates the collection, clean up, and disposal of bio-hazardous or toxic chemical waste; interfaces with hazardous waste disposal vendor.
● Adheres to state and local laws and regulations relating to health and safety, and safe storage and disposal of hazardous materials.
● Maintains the stockroom and laboratory in a safe, clean, and orderly condition, which includes functional checks on safety equipment such as eyewash stations, showers, fire extinguishers and hoods.
● Assures availability of supplies, materials, and equipment needed for laboratories.
● Provides training for instructors and new technicians in stockroom operation.
● Prepares and issues materials and equipment for student use.
● Cleans, sterilizes, performs minor repairs to, adjusts, and maintains laboratory and stockroom equipment.
● Trains and provides direction to student help as assigned.
● Operates a variety of equipment related to the science lab and stockroom.
● Orders, receives, and stores supplies, materials, and equipment.
● Communicates results of tests and analyses.
● Prepares and maintains various records and reports related to laboratory operations, including records of storeroom expenditures and consumable materials use.
● Operates a computer for word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
● Maintains supplies, materials, and equipment inventories and related accountability records in a scientific storeroom.
● Controls expenditures within the assigned budget allocation.
● Provides data for and prepares budget estimates.
● Operates a motor vehicle as needed.
● Meets with science faculty, Instructional Assistants, and other Laboratory Technicians to assist in the design and development of experiments and demonstrations.
● Performs related duties as required.
● Prepares and maintains microbial cultures and media.
● Prepares solutions; handles living organisms; works with preserved organisms; moves and relocates biological models; operates autoclaves.
● Cleans lab and stockroom glassware and equipment; and uses dissecting tools.
● Prepares materials for instructors including solutions, solids, unknowns, and associated demonstration materials.
● Prepares standard volumetric solutions and reagents used in labs.
● Tests and analyzes chemical and physical properties of liquids, solids, and gasses.
● Maintains a chemical library for students to check out various items needed for their labs or homework.
● Assigns lockers each semester to the various labs.
● Performs minor maintenance and keeps inventory on lockers and usage.
● Maintains breakage cards for instructors in order to monitor glassware breakage and shortages.
● Prepares equipment and materials for instructors.
● Assembles items for demonstration and lab use.
● Repairs equipment using basic electronics skill.
● Calculates data to compare with expected values.
● Maintains sensors and probes.
● May work with nuclear materials.
1:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Monday – Thursday.
10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Friday.
Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in compliance with Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343; employment is contingent upon meeting the requirements of Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343. This position may require operating a District or personal vehicle in order to complete assigned work within the scope of the position duties. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a medical evaluation.Minimum Qualifications
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: One year of responsible and successful work experience in a science laboratory or stockroom, or equivalent training. Successful completion of two years of college education, including 15 semester units in the subject area to which assigned and 4 semester units in a related subject area (preferred), i.e. 15 semester units in Biology and 4 semester units in Chemistry, or comparable experience.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)Application Instructions
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
● It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position).
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click hereForeign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.Physical Demands Salary $3,695.23 per monthLRCCD Salary Schedules Additional Salary Information Plus shift differential. Posting Detail Information Posting Date 06/07/2019 Closing Date 07/01/2019 Open Continuously No Beginning and/or Ending Dates
N/AHow and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.Conditions
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.Quicklink http://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/11663 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to complete the form "Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime", P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed, copy and paste the provided link, for the form <a href="http://wserver.losrios.edu/hr/forms/P-881,10-2013.pdf" target="_blank">http://wserver.losrios.edu/hr/forms/P-881,10-2013.pdf</a> and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to – where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document