DescriptionUniversity Counsel has a dual report to the Board of Regents and the president of the university and includes several legal functions that provide an array of services to the University of Colorado system. The Office of the University Counsel provides legal advice to the Board of Regents, the president, system administration and the campuses.
The Research Counsel position provides legal research services to the Boulder campus. This position may be called upon to provide legal services to the Office of the President or to one of the other campus offices as a result of the individual’s expertise or experience with a particular legal issue or area. The research counsel functions under the direction and supervision of senior legal counsel in the unit who are designated as special assistant attorneys general. The Office of University Counsel prides itself on timely and excellent advice and assistance. The team works closely together and the work is fast paced. The successful candidate must be able to recognize issues, propose possible resolution, follow-up, solve problems and work collaboratively in a team environment. This individual must also possess advanced knowledge associated with the professional practice of law, perform associated duties that are intellectual and varied in nature, exercise discretion and independent judgment.
This security-sensitive position requires a criminal background check. This position reports to the Managing Associate Counsel position and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Research legal issues, prepare research memoranda, and assist senior legal counsel and execute advice from senior legal counsel on issues including, but not limited to the following:
- Federal and state laws and regulations (in particular, those impacting institutions of higher education, for example open records requirements)
- Tax-exempt status issues
- Corporate law issues
- Health care and patient care issues
- Laws of the Regents and University policies
- Employment law issues
- EEOC and civil rights issues
- State Personnel Board cases
- Faculty issues
- Student issues.
- Review and draft contracts, leases, and other legal agreements under supervision of senior legal counsel.
- Analyze, research, and draft proposed legal opinions, both written and oral, for various University constituencies, including administrators, faculty, staff, and students.
- Assist senior legal counsel with executing tactful and effective communication, both in writing and orally, with various internal and external constituencies, including faculty members, staff, and students of the Boulder campus, federal and state officials, and the general public.
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge and ability to adhere to the highest level of confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, to manage multiple concurrent tasks and responsibilities, and adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to interpret and apply complex rules and regulations.
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office Suite products.
- Ability to utilize Westlaw, WestNext, Lexis Nexis or other comparable legal research platform.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in a demanding environment.
- Proactive self-starter and demonstrated ability to show initiative in addressing and anticipating client needs.
- Excellent research, analytical, writing, and communication skills.
- Client communication skills.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary for this position has been established at $75,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more perks and programs.
More information on the benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
Job Category: Audit and Legal
Primary Location: Boulder
Posting Date: Jun 10, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing