Limited-Term Faculty, Teacher Education - Science / STEM Education (Fall 2019)
Position Title:Limited-Term Faculty, Teacher Education - Science / STEM Education (Fall 2019) Position Number:10043332 Benefits Eligible:Yes Campus Location:Multi-Campus General Summary:
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Limited Term Faculty member in Teacher Education. This position, located in the Teacher Education Department, focuses on science and STEM Education, and we seek a candidate experienced in education and practice with experience in innovative teaching practices, a commitment to diversity and social justice, and experience in quantitative and/or qualitative methodologies.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development, and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university’s signature leadership program is its 900-member Corps of Cadets on UNG’s Dahlonega Campus.Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be a member of the Science Education Program, which is housed in the Teacher Education Department and includes undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Be expected to teach specified courses, prepare course materials, prepare and maintain a safe lab environment, provide support and guidance to students, maintain records pertinent to accreditation, and assist students in securing and completing field placements. Additionally, faculty are expected to maintain an ongoing research agenda and commitment to service, including servinging on committees, participating in recruitment efforts, and working with doctoral candidates.
- Have primary teaching assignments including, Science Teaching Methods (SIED 4184, 4500) and Integrated Sciences (ISCI 2001, 2002, 4001, 4002, 4003), depending upon expertise and qualification.
- Course assignments may be face-to-face, hybrid, or online.
- Knowledge of science content and scientific practices
- Familiarity with learning, teaching, and equity and justice-oriented educational theories
- Knowledge of current national content standards
- Ability to work collegially with other members of the College faculty and utilize opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration
- Professional written and oral communication skills.
- Earned doctorate (Ph.D. or Ed.D.) in STEM Education or Science Education; in Teacher Education or Curriculum & Instruction with a specialization in STEM/Science Education; or a related field.
- Minimum of three years of experience teaching in P-12 school contexts.
- A track record of success in research and/or acquisition of external funding is preferred.
- A demonstrated commitment to science and/or STEM education
- A commitment to diversity and social justice.
In addition to a background check, this position will also require a DMV check.
Please submit contact information for three professional references. Employer Information:All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.