Assistant Professor in Exercise Science
Posting InformationPosting Information Position TitleAssistant Professor in Exercise ScienceJob Posting Number20208FACJob LocationSan MarcosDepartmentDept of Health & Human PerformancePosition Description
The Department of Health and Human Performance at Texas State University, a Hispanic-Serivng Insitution (HSI), invites applications for the position of assistant professor in exercise science. We are seeking candidates who can contribute to Texas State’s Translational Health Research Initiative, in the area of chronic disease prevention, disparities in physical activity and health outcomes, applied exercise assessment and programming for diverse population, and community physical activity and wellness promotion. Candidates conducting community engaged scholarship focusing on combatting physical activity disparities in underserved populations are preferred.
The department presently has 51 full time faculty and serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students seeking degrees in athletic training, exercise and sports science, public health, and recreation. Our academic programs offer both bachelor’s and master’s degrees. The Department of Health and Human Performance is proposing an interdisciplinary doctorate program in health and rehabilitation sciences. In addition, Texas State offers a comprehensive employee wellness program, led by an interdisciplinary research team that provides opportunities for collaborative studies.
The successful candidate will be a strong teacher and established researcher. This is a full-time, tenure-track assistant professor position with a nine-month academic year appointment beginning Fall 2020. The successful candidate will: (1) be responsible for delivering engaged learning activities and instruction in undergraduate and graduate exercise science courses (e.g., fitness assessment and exercise prescription, physical activity, disease prevention and treatment); (2) sustain a focused area of research that results in peer-reviewed publications and external funding; (3) serve as an advisor to master’s degree students; and (4) serve on committees and participate in official activities at the department, college, and university levels.
Candidates should share our commitment to educational equity and high quality education of students from currently and historically underserved and systematically marginalized communities. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups are strongly enocuraged to apply.Required Qualifications
• Earned doctorate (i.e., Ph.D., Ed.D. DSc.) in exercise science, kinesiology, exercise physiology, epidemiology, movement science, human performance, sociocultural determinants of physical activity, or related field prior to appointment date;
• Demonstrable evidence of research and scholarship; and
• Evidence of potential to obtain external funding for research.
• Experience as a contributing member of an interdisicplinary resarch team;
• Experience conducting community engaged scholarship focusing on minimizing physical activity disparities and promoting wellness in diverse and/or underserved populations;
• Experience collaborating with a university and/or worksite employee wellness program;
• Experience teaching at the university level;
• Experience using a variety of instructional strategies, such as face-to-face delivery, online, hybrid, experiential learning, or field-based experiences to engage students with diverse needs and experiences;
• Demonstrable evidence of sustained scholarship;
• Demonstrable evidence of external funding;
• Demonstrated service and leadership in program, university, and professional service activities and organizations;
• Experience in teaching and mentoring graduate students; and
• Professional certification in an area aligned with research agenda.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/25375.
To ensure full consideration, all materials must be submitted by October 15, 2019. The application must include:
1) A letter of application expressing your interest to apply for the position including detailed and supported explanantion of how you meet the required and preferred qualifications;
2) A curriculum vitae;
3) Evidence of research and scholarship (e.g., reprints of recent publications);
4) Names and contact information of three references; and
5) Unofficial transcripts from all degree-granting universitiies (the selected candidate will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree gratning universities).
For inquiries, please e-mail Dr. Ting Liu, search committee chair, at [email protected]@txstate.edu.Proposed Start DateFall 2020Open DateReview Date10/15/2019Close DateOpen Until Filled?YesLegal Notices
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
Texas State University is home to more than 38,000 students and 2,000 faculty members in the growing Austin-San Antonio corridor. A member of the Doctoral Universities: Higher Research Activity Carnegie classification, the university creates new knowledge, fosters cultural and economic development, and prepares its growing population of diverse students for the endless possibilities that await them as citizens of Texas, the nation, and the world.
Bolstered by research with relevance and innovation in creative and scholarly work in a full range of academic disciplines and a spirit of inclusiveness, Texas State seeks outstanding candidates for a variety of faculty positions.Quick Linkhttp://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/25375Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Examples of Recent Publications
- Transcripts (all in one document)
- Samples of Scholarly Work/Research
- Examples of Recent Publications #2
- Examples of Recent Publications #3
- DD 214/DD1300
- Veteran's Preference