Communications Operator - Georgetown Police
Communications Operator - Georgetown Police
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Communications Operator - Georgetown University Police Communications Center is responsible for answering emergency and non-emergency calls for service, dispatching these calls, and initiating EMS responses. S/he monitors alarm systems and works the customer service desk, answering calls from the public regarding all types of emergencies, ranging from crimes being committed to various kinds of university community needs. Working alone or being partnered with another Communications Officer or Operator with little supervision, the Communications Operator has duties that include but are not limited to:
- Answer emergency and non-emergency phone lines, working shifts that may include days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Enter caller information into the computer aided dispatch system (CAD), prioritizing calls depending on the level of emergency.
- Interact with police officers over the two-way radio system, entering police officer generated information in the CAD.
- Monitor and react to security systems, including a Video Management System (VMS) and Alarm Management System.
- Enter VMS observations into the VMS logging system.
- Assist community members and Police Officers at the Police Service Desk, representing the Police Department by participating in various committees when necessary.
- Interact with related computer based information systems to include, but not limited to, LiveSafe, GoCard System, and HoyAlert.
- Perform miscellaneous clerical tasks such as updating and maintaining department records.
- Assist in tasks that include training new communications center staff.
- Maintain required APCO certifications and current knowledge of police and communications methods and practices.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent); College Degree preferred
- 1 to 3 years of related experience as a dispatcher; An equivalent combination of training, education and/or experience may be considered in lieu of above requirements
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and remain calm while performing fast-paced, complex operations under stress
- Good communication skills and resource management skills
- Successful completion of an extensive background check with the ability to qualify for a Security Officer License in the District of Columbia
- Ability to communicate effectively via telephone and radio and operate computers using MS Windows
- National Crime Information Center/Washington Area Law Enforcement System (NCIC/WALES) Operator Requirements as set out by the FBI Criminal Justice Information System
- Previous experience working in a communications center is highly desired
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Communications-Operator---Georgetown-Police_JR06182
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency