Coordinator of Aquatics / Assistant Coordinator for Intramural Sports and Facilities
Lafayette College: Human Resources: Staff Positions: Campus Life Lafayette College: Human Resources: Staff Positions: Campus Life Location
Jun 5, 2019
Lafayette College is an independent, highly selective, residential and coeducational institution of approximately 2,500 undergraduate students. Lafayette grants bachelor’s degrees in the liberal arts, sciences, and engineering. Lafayette is located in the city of Easton which, together with Bethlehem, Allentown and adjacent communities, makes up the Lehigh Valley. The valley comprises Pennsylvania's third largest metropolitan area, with a population of over 500,000.
We are seeking an energetic person capable of professional interactions with patrons and program participants, as well as, the ability to mentor student employees. The employee should have the capacity to remain organized in a fast paced work environment and the ability to navigate efficiently between a wide-variety of software programs. This employee’s ability to develop and implement policy; self-reliance and vigilance; and a willingness to access their own success is vital to this position’s effectiveness. This person should place a high value on regular interpersonal, accurate and timely communication.
Manage the aquatics staff and programs:
- Recruit, supervise, and thoroughly train lifeguards, instructors and student supervisors.
- Teach group swim lessons, CPR-Pro and Lifeguard Certification classes each semester.
- Maintain accurate records and data pertaining to user loads, program participation, assessment and budget.
- Manage the Recreational Swim Program including member recruitment and setting program guidelines.
- Conduct swim testing for all applicable sports clubs and summer camp programs.
Co-Coordinate the intramural sports:
- Produce select league schedules, tournament brackets, and special one-day event schedules.
- Assist in the purchase, inventory, and maintenance of all equipment and apparel used for intramural sports.
- Conduct captain’s meetings and serve as commission for select intramural sports.
- Personally supervise all contact-sport leagues and ensure professional presence at all other tournaments
- Assist with mentoring and training intramural sports supervisors and sport officials.
Provide support for recreation facility scheduling and daily operation:
- Assist with facility scheduling meetings, fundamental facility operations, and supervision during peak hours
- Coordinate the department’s overnight equipment loan program on a daily basis.
- Assist with teaching CPR & 1st Aid for the lay person for entry level staff and outside clients.
- Coordinate and implement a risk management plan that provides for the well-being of program participants.
- Help plan and support department-wide special events and initiatives
- Participate as an active member of the staff by attending weekly departmental and divisional meetings.
- Assist with annual locker renewal and management of locker rooms.
- Assist with coordination of electronic media and marketing efforts for the department.
- Serve on weekend duty for the department several times each semester.
- Conduct outcome assessment for program areas under the position’s responsibility and report out.
Compensation: The position reports to the Associate Dean of Students/Director of Recreation Services and works closely with others in the Department of Athletics, Facility Operations, and the Division of Campus Life. This position is paid an annual salary and includes medical insurance and retirement benefits. Weekend and evening work is regularly required with a Sunday to Thursday workweek when classes are in session.
Bachelors’ degree and at least two years of experience with college / community aquatics or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Certified American Red Cross Lifeguard instructor and experience with swimming lessons and Water Safety Instructor certification or the capability of passing the courses. Experience as a participant or a working knowledge of a broad range of athletics / recreational sports and direct work with college students is preferred.
A letter of application indicating position, resume and telephone contact information for three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Lafayette College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, religion, age, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or familial status, pregnancy, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law in its educational programs and activities, admissions, or employment as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of sex); the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of disability); Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national origin); and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which requires that the College not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin); and other applicable laws and College policies.