Secretary 1 - School of Education
Department:: School of Education
Locations:: Oswego, NY
Posted:: Jun 4, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About SUNY Oswego:
Founded in 1861, SUNY Oswego is a public comprehensive university located in Central New York on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, 45 minutes from Syracuse. One of 13 comprehensive colleges in the 64-campus State University of New York (SUNY) system, SUNY Oswego is recognized nationally for its academic quality, focus on student success outcomes, and the growing diversity of its student body. Ranked 11th among public master's-level universities in the 2019 "Top Regional Universities in the North" by U.S. News and World Report, SUNY Oswego is also recognized among Princeton Review's Best Regional Colleges in the Northeast - an honor bestowed on the college every year since 2003.
Inspired by a shared commitment to excellence and the desire to transcend traditional higher education boundaries, SUNY Oswego provides a transformative experience to 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The college offers preeminent academic programs in the arts and sciences, business, communications, and teacher education, and its success is built on providing students outstanding educational experiences with attention to a liberal arts and sciences foundation, practical applications, interdisciplinary approaches, independent scholarly and creative work, and skills for living in multicultural and global communities.
Oswego is committed to enhancing its diversity across the entire campus community. SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is actively engaged in recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We encourage applications from qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim SUNY status, or criminal conviction. Please click here to see our full non-discrimination policy.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to work in the United States per the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Requests for reasonable accommodations of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Human Resources Office by calling 315-312-2230 or emailing [email protected]
For Campus Safety information, please click here to see the Annual Security and Fire Report (Clery) on the Human Resources Website.
SUNY Oswego is a smoke free/tobacco/e-cigarette free campus. Please click here for further policy details, including education and cessation resources.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
The School of Education at the State University of New York at Oswego invites applications to fill a full-time permanent, Secretary 1 position, Grade 11.
Posting Date: June 4, 2019
Review Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: $41,130/year. Commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition, the State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. Please click here for more information on benefits for full-time CSEA professional.
Date of Appointment: As soon as possible.
Description of Responsibilities:
Support SOE assessment and accreditation activities:
- Work with the SOE's Associate Dean of Assessment and Accreditation and the SOE's Data Manager to assist with coordination and collection of data related to teacher candidates, alumni, and employers
- Activate all Tk20 data accounts for students, as well as manage and reconcile Tk20 and allied coding in Banner
- Update all SOE meetings and individual semester syllabi in Tk20 for accreditation records
- Facilitate subscriptions for Tk20 for all matriculated SOE students
- Use Argos and Tk20 to identify newly matriculated students who need Tk20 accounts
- Use Banner to assign attributes for students who direct purchase their subscription in Tk20
- Monitor students who withdraw from SOE majors and facilitate Tk20 refunds
- Validate vendor invoices to ensure appropriate billing
Coordinate and plan Sheldon Institute for Barbara Shineman Scholars:
- Maintain/manage budget ( e.g., generate payroll requests for instructors, graduate assistants, and assistants by collecting required documentation, managing scholarships, donor accounts)
- Ensure participation of all staff in Child Protection Training, including making sure all staff are cleared in the sex-offender registry
- Develop and update materials, including advertising, registration packets, program schedule, and payroll packets for instructors
- Collect and organize course proposals and scholarships
- Coordinate room and vehicle reservations
- Maintain accurate student registration records, medical records, completion of all forms, payments, and other documentation
- Communicate with parents to facilitate registration, respond to questions and status of scholarship application
- Arrange and participate in interviews for Graduate Assistant
- Support day-to-day programming activities by managing sign-in/out tables, providing class rosters to instructors with indicators of medical concerns, print notices/permission slips, respond to a variety of situations and assist Director in ensuring classes are covered when there is an absence
- Inventory supplies at conclusion of program
- Read and respond in Teacher Certification Consortium (TCC) listserv related to SUNY procedures and when problems arise in the TEACH teacher certification data system
- Access TEACH system to track student certification requirements and correspond with Registrar
- Provide information to current students and alumni related to their ce1tification status in the TEACH system
- Provide assistance to faculty members and students on where to find current NYS Teacher Certification requirements
- Make available current NYS Education codes, rules, and regulations
- Attend Teacher Certification Conference, if needed
Manage student scholarships:
- Verify accuracy of 23 scholarship descriptions
- Review applications to determine eligibility and completeness of application
- Create database for eligible applicants to be reviewed by Associate Dean
- Verify students' level of financial need
- Correspond with students related to scholarship awards for Honors Convocation
Provide administrative support for the SOE Dean's Office:
- Support the SOE accreditation, including unit self-study and preparing for site visitation by accreditors
- Provide administrative support for Associate Deans
- Support Dean's Office programs, events, and meetings
- Attend Registrar's Council meetings, as needed
- Maintain a database for each semester of all requests for readmission, set up student folders, print transcripts, complete readmission review forms, send forms to departments for review, and send letters related to readmission decisions
- Assist students with questions/concerns regarding our SOE's policies and procedures for reinstatement and/or readmission following disqualification or placement on academic warning or academic probation
- Maintain databases related to students' academic standing (i.e., academic warning, academic probation, and disqualification), schedule student meetings with Associate Dean, communicate with Registrar's Office regarding disqualification appeals, send letters to students related to appeal decisions
- Update and maintain SOE website in all areas ( e.g., faculty listing, dean's office main page, certification requirements, Sheldon Institute, and links for NYSED and NYSTEs website)
- Assist faculty, students, parents, and other offices on campus as needed, through face-to-face, phone, and email interactions
- Check availability and request space reservations through Campus Life for meetings, classes and events.
- Assist with room reservations for meetings, classes, or events
Candidates must be permanent competitive or 55 b/c employees of New York State to be eligible to apply for this position.
One year of permanent competitive service as an Secretary 1 OR be reachable on the Secretary 1 eligible list OR have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the law.
70.1 transfer or reinstatement:
One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Secretary 1 OR have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title within two salary grades of the target title that is eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of Civil Service Law.
Permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Secretary 1.
One year of permanent competitive service Keyboard Specialist 1, Keyboard Specialist 1 (Spanish Language), Keyboard Specialist 2, Keyboard Specialist 2 (Spanish Language), Law Department Document Specialist Trainee 1, Law Department Document Specialist Trainee 2, Law Department Document Specialist, Data Entry Machine Operator, Data Entry Machine Operator (Spanish Language), or Senior Data Entry Machine Operator.
Conditions of Employment:
This will be a permanent or provisional appointment. Candidates should be aware that a preferred list, transfer list, placement roster and/or reemployment roster of laid off State employees may be certified against this vacancy by the Department of Civil Service.
For more details, reference New York State Department of Civil Service, Job Title Code # 2912000, Secretary 1 and Grade 11.
If you have any questions about the position, please call or e-mail:
Submit a cover letter addressing qualifications, CV/resume, and contact information for three professional references (only the three referees listed in your Interview Exchange application can be considered and contacted) electronically by clicking on the APPLY NOW button.
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please click here to login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Please click CONTACT US if you need assistance applying through this website.