CIS Tenure-Track Faculty
Position Summary: John A. Logan College is seeking applicants for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in Computer Information Systems to begin fall 2019. Faculty are covered under a 9-month contract period (August through May) and are required to teach a minimum of 15 credit hours and serve eight office hours per week for student consultation in fall and spring semesters. Additional teaching opportunities with compensation may be available in the summer semester. The candidate will be responsible for teaching computer information systems courses in areas such as: computer forensics, cybersecurity, network security, network administration, server and security management, wireless/mobile networking, digital forensics, databases, data security, and cloud computing, as needed.
The instructor must be available to teach classes during the day, evenings, and weekends, as needed.
Specific Job Duties:
• To instruct students in the facts and skills pertaining to assigned courses.
• To conduct classes as scheduled.
• To consider the needs of the students, and assist them by seeking help from other college services.
• To prepare and distribute to all students a course syllabus that covers the class requirements, grading procedure, attendance requirements, and course objectives.
• To inform students of educational and occupational opportunities.
• To utilize instructional technology for online learning and record-keeping.
• To update curricula, prepare outlines, and select textbooks.
• To submit midterm and final grade reports, attendance records, early alerts, and other reports pertaining to assigned courses by required due dates.
• To establish partnerships and dual credit opportunities with district high schools.
• To prepare and maintain efficient program budget for CIS instruction, supplies, and equipment.
• To ensure equipment in respective computer labs is up-to-date and sufficient for program needs.
• To actively engage business and industry partners and work with an advisory committee to assure program meets industry needs.
• To recruit students to the program.
•To assist in identifying adjunct CIS faculty and work with them to make sure instructional objectives are being met.
• To stay current in the discipline and instructional activities by participating in professional development.
• To remain current with and seek appropriate certifications.
• To assist in the development of CAE reports.
• To participate on college committee(s).
• To participate in accreditation, assessment activities, and program review.
• To perform other duties as outlined in the Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• To represent the College credibly with respect to any of its activities, and observe, support, and enforce the regulations, policies, and programs of the College.
• Associate’s degree in Computer Forensics, Information Technology, Cyber Security, Computer Support and Networking, or closely related field by August 9, 2019.
• Minimum of 1 year experience in any combination of the following: o Network systems administration LAN design o LAN/WAN routing and switching using CISCO equipment o Windows/Linux OS o Microsoft Server 2012R
• Security+ or CEH certification required by August 9, 2019 (upon employment, the College will cover the cost of testing for Security+ and other certifications as needed).
• Complete CCNA certification along with CCNA teaching certification within one year of being hired (the College covers the testing expense).
• The candidate must have the ability to communicate effectively and have professional computer literacy.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Forensics, Information Technology, or closely related field.
• In addition to the Security+/CEH certification, any of the following certifications are desirable:
• Post-Secondary teaching experience
• Experience with
o Palo Alto switches
o Cloud computing
o CISCO administration of layer 3 routers and switches
o CCDC/Argonne/Red Team Competitions
Deadline to Apply: Open until filled
John A. Logan College is an established, growing, and innovative higher education institution. In fall 2017, the College enrolled 3,717 students in baccalaureate-transfer and career education programs. Carterville is located in southern Illinois and is within ten minutes of a major university and within two hours of St. Louis, MO.
The College has been affiliated with the NEA/IEA for thirty-nine years. Starting salary is determined by educational level and teaching experience as per contract salary schedule, and opportunities exist for overload and summer teaching. The College provides an excellent fringe benefit package. Further information about the College may be obtained at www.jalc.edu.
Send a John A. Logan College faculty application, resume, copy of all transcripts, and the names, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of four professional references to:
Office of Human Resources
John A. Logan College
700 Logan College Drive
Carterville, IL 62918
618-985-2828 Ext. 8273
John A. Logan College is an affirmative action institution and is committed to equal opportunity for all.