Head Athletic Trainer
Department:: Intercollegiate Athletics
Locations:: Oswego, NY
Posted:: Jun 3, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About SUNY Oswego:
Founded in 1861, SUNY Oswego is a public comprehensive college located in Central New York on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, 45 minutes from Syracuse. Named one of "Top Up-and-Coming Schools" in U.S. News "America's Best Colleges" in 2010, a Kiplinger's "Best College Value" for 2015, and a "Best Northeastern College" by Princeton Review every year since the first edition in 2003, Oswego offers its 8000 undergraduate and graduate students preeminent academic programs in the arts and sciences, business, communications, and teacher education. The College's success is built on providing students outstanding educational experiences with attention to a liberal arts and sciences foundation, practical applications, interdisciplinary approaches, independent scholarly and creative work, and skills for living in multicultural and global communities. The emphasis on faculty-mentored student research and creative projects is evidenced by Quest, a daylong symposium spotlighting original student research; a stipend program for students engaged in research and creative work; and the Global Laboratory, a STEM-based research abroad program at top-ranked universities around the world. SUNY Oswego is an unusually collegial and vibrant community and is in a time of wonderful opportunities with extensive facilities construction and renovation, a forward-looking strategic plan, and expanded outreach to regional, national, and international communities.
Click here for additional information about SUNY Oswego.
Oswego is committed to enhancing its diversity. SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is actively engaged in recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We encourage applications from qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim SUNY status, or criminal conviction. Please click here to see our full non-discrimination policy.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to work in the United States per the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Requests for reasonable accommodations of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Human Resources Office by calling 315-312-2230 or emailing [email protected]
For Campus Safety information, please click here to see the Annual Security and Fire Report (Clery).
SUNY Oswego is a smoke free/tobacco/e-cigarette free campus. Click here for further policy details, including education and cessation resources.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Description of Department: The Oswego State athletics department sponsors 24 intercollegiate varsity sports as a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC).
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics at the State University of New York at Oswego invites applications for the position of Head Athletic Trainer. This is a full-time, ten-month staff position.
Posting Date: June 3, 2019
Review Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Benefit Information: The State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. Click here for more information on benefits for full-time United University Professions (UUP) professional staff or click here for a benefits summary.
Date of Appointment: August 1, 2019
Description of Responsibilities: The Head Athletic Trainer reports directly to the Director of Athletics and responsibilities range from care, prevention, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries to other administrative duties within the athletic department. The Head Athletic Trainer will provide the leadership to ensure that a highly professional environment exists in each training facility and at all home contests.
The Head Athletic Trainer must deal effectively with many constituents; athletes, coaches, health services professionals, physicians, and parents. Maintaining the trust and confidence of all these groups is necessary. Moreover, the Head Athletic Trainer should keep abreast of best practices and significant improvements in the field by attending seminars, workshops, classes, and clinics.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Supervise all full-time and part-time employees in the training room to ensure their jobs are performed as assigned. This will include written evaluations of all full-time employees (2).
- Recruit, educate, and supervise student trainers and others as needed. Work with department secretary to insure all hiring is according to college policy.
- Insure that all appropriate training staff are assigned for home contests, tournaments, and practices. Provide services to visiting teams as required by conference guidelines. Develop a schedule of travel with teams as appropriate and as staff limitations allow.
- Be responsible for inventorying, ordering, and storage of all training supplies and equipment.
- Diagnose and treat athletic injuries.
- Work with coaching and strength staff to develop and administer programs for the health and safety of student athletes.
- Insure that all sports injury data is entered in the NCAA data base.
- Maintain injury and treatment logs for all student athletes.
- Maintain a file of insurance coverage and medical history for every student athlete.
- Participate in department meetings, functions, and support department outreaches.
- Adhere to the fundamental values of good sportsmanship, respect, fairness, civility, honesty, and responsibility.
In addition, the Head Athletic Trainer will be expected to possess communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues, including strong organizational, interpersonal and leadership skills, a commitment to student academic success and to a competitive Division III Athletics program.
- Bachelor's degree in Athletic Training or related field at time of application
- Minimum three years previous collegiate athletic training experience
- Current NATA (National Athletic Trainers Association) certification
- Possess current certification in appropriate level of First Aid, CPR, and AED
- Must be eligible for an athletic training license in New York
- Strong communication skills
- Master's degree
- Progressive leadership and management experience
If you have any questions about the position, please e-mail:
Eric Summers, Search Committee Chair
Criminal background check required prior to appointment.
Files must be complete (all documents requested and required in the application instructions submitted) to be considered. Official transcripts required at time of appointment.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Submit a cover letter addressing qualifications, resume, copies of unofficial transcript for required degree showing degree awarded and date conferred, and contact information for three professional references (only the three references listed in your Interview Exchange application can be considered and contacted) electronically by clicking on the APPLY NOW button.
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please click here to login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Please click CONTACT US if you need assistance applying through this website.