Anatomy Lab Assistant
Logan University is comprised of the College of Chiropractic and the College of Health Sciences and blends the perfect balance of tradition with innovation. Established in 1935, Logan College of Chiropractic is one of the largest and most respected chiropractic colleges in North America. Through the College of Health Sciences, Logan offers master’s degrees in sports science and rehabilitation, and nutrition and human performance that are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of North Central. Other program offerings include undergraduate coursework including an Accelerated Science Program to help students complete their basic science coursework at an accelerated pace, offered in both online and on-campus formats, and two baccalaureate degrees- A Bachelor of Science degree in Human Biology and a Bachelor of Science degree in Life Science.
Logan’s 112-acre wooded campus is located in Chesterfield, MO, a quiet residential suburb of St. Louis. Its low student-to-faculty ratio provides more personalized instruction, which is most conducive to effective learning. MSNBC has selected Logan’s campus as an editor’s pick of one of “America’s Most Beautiful College Campuses.” Logan offers an outstanding benefits package to eligible employees including free chiropractic care. Learn more about Logan University at www.logan.edu.
Interested candidates please send resume to: [email protected]
Job Title: Anatomy Lab Assistant
Position Status: (Full-time/Part-Time): Full-time - Exempt
Positions Supervised: None
SUMMARY: Logan University anatomy lab assistants are responsible for assisting the lead faculty in the laboratory setting that compliments the lecture portion of basic science courses. Lab assistants will prep the laboratory to the specifications of the lead faculty, provide laboratory support of learning activities that support student attainment of the stated outcomes and objectives of the course, program and university. The Lab Assistant role encompasses learning facilitation, professional development, and institutional service under the supervision of the lead faculty and the division chair. Lab Assistants support and promote a culture of learning consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the university. Lab assistants work with laboratory chemicals and cadaverous materials including but not limited to full cadavers.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Fostering a learning centered community consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the institution and the college under the direction of the lead faculty.
- Ability to assess university, program, and course level goals and outcomes.
- Accountability to students, self, and administration with respect to quality in education.
- Incorporating current profession information into class presentations.
- Coming to class prepared and on time, using class time effectively and maintaining professional conduct in the classroom.
- Preparing an updated syllabus prior to the beginning of courses according to the standard Logan University format. All information (course objectives, reading assignments, testing, grading, etc.) contained in the syllabus must be clearly stated and not ambiguous. All administrative and classroom deadlines must be met.
- Refraining from making pejorative statements regarding the university, fellow faculty or staff personnel in the presence of students or patients.
- Working collaboratively with academic and student affairs to provide academic advising and counseling of students
- Hold at least one tutoring hour per week per course to proactively assist students with laboratory components
- Under the supervision of the lead faculty person, prepare assessments that have sound instructional value with accurately measured and well-defined objectives. Evaluation should not be ambiguous and should appropriately represent the information presented in the course.
- Under the supervision/direction of the lead faculty person, prepare specimens prior and during lab activities; may include, but not limited to the dissection of human cadavers.
- Provide formative and summative feedback on assessments as directed by the lead faculty person.
- Establishing and maintaining a classroom atmosphere conducive to learning.
- Comfortable and proficient in online course instruction.
- Responsible to treat colleagues, staff, and students in a professional manner.
- Provide positive support of lead faculty and the university in general.
- Participation in faculty meetings, workshops and college ceremonies.
- Participate in professional development and institutional service.
- Working knowledge of continuous quality improvement
- Accountable to report to the lead faculty member and Program Director if he/she will be absent or unable to attend the class.
- Notifying appropriate Logan personnel of damage to Logan property. Should report problems that affect any aspect of the university to the program director or appropriate department.
- Read, understand and follow all Faculty Handbook information and policies.
- Responsible for other reasonable and related duties as assigned.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be dependable and have good inter-personal and communication/organization skills and the ability to interact effectively with students, faculty, and staff.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Listed below are the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position, as well as the Physical Demands and Work Environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum of a master’s degree in anatomy with preference to those candidates with gross anatomy experience; one to two years of teaching experience in higher education or equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Basic math skills required. Ability to define problems, collect data, establishes facts, and draw valid conclusions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and to use hands to type on computer, operate office equipment and handle books, files, documents, etc. Must be able to talk and hear to answer phones and when assisting others. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and to stoop or kneel. The employee must occasionally lift objects weighing from 10 – 30 pounds and possibly up to 50 pounds. Close vision needed to use computer. Must have distance vision and depth perception for safety purposes.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment in this position is generally characteristic of a normal office environment. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed the employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
An employee is expected to assist and provide coverage for coworkers during peak periods, vacation days or sick days.
Apply for Anatomy Lab Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly