Adjunct - Violin/Viola (AL)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleAdjunct - Violin/Viola (AL)DepartmentLASSPosting Number03249PLocationAlexandria, VA: 22311Full or Part TimePart-TimePosition End Date (if temporary)Required TravelRelocation CoveredNoSalary Rangecommensurate per rank per VCCS criteria Position Summary Information Basic Function
Teach applied violin/viola lessons to both music majors and non majors of all skill levels.Duties and Responsibilities
Adjunct faculty are employed to teach violin and viola students in the fall and spring semester and/or and possibly classes based on teacher’s qualifications and needs of the department. Possibility to direct string ensemble or string orchestra. Teaching load is based upon student enrollment and staffing needs. Compensation is per credit hour and based upon rank. The adjunct faculty appointment contains no guarantee of continued employmentMinimum Qualifications
Master’s degree in Violin/Viola Performance or Pedagogy required as well as experience teaching private lessons.Preferred Qualifications
DMA and prior college teaching of piano students and/or string methods class.Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
•Demonstrated professional performing ability as a choral conductor
•Ability to structure instruction based on the needs of a diverse chorus
•Adept knowledge of instructional technologies such as Learning Management Systems
•Excellent interpersonal and native or near-native oral and written English skills
•Ability to work with a diverse student population
•Successful passing of a criminal background check
•Adjunct faculty are required to meet assigned classes on meeting dates, submit required grade records and reports, student learning outcomes.
Successful completion and passing of a criminal background check is required.
The adjunct faculty appointment contains no guarantee of continued employment.
The incumbent may have a Summer 2019 or Fall 2019 Start date.Background Check Statement
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment), and other checks requested by the VCCS and NOVA such as I-9 and E-Verify requirements. Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest.Additional InformationSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master’s Degree in Music with at least 18 credit hours in Voice or Conducting?
- * Do you have experience with a diverse student population?
- * What is your teaching experience? List all that apply from the following examples: High School / TA / tutoring, Community College, Four-year college, Graduate school, online/hybrid classes, or No teaching experience
(Open Ended Question)
- * From the following, please specify when you are available to teach: days and daytime hours, days and evening hours, Saturdays
(Open Ended Question)
- * I understand that only information provided at the time of the application submission will be considered when determining my qualifications and only responses to Supplemental Questions that can be verified in my application and resume will be credited.
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3