Chair and Associate Professor / Professor
Chair and Associate Professor / Professor
Physical Therapy - 300820
The University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth is seeking an empowering and visionary leader for the position of Physical Therapy (PT) Department Chair. The department is housed within the School of Health Professions (SHP), which also includes a Physician Assistant Studies Program and an online master's program in Lifestyle Health. The PT department offers a clinical Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) and a dual-degree DPT/Ph.D. in Structural Anatomy and Rehabilitation Sciences in collaboration with the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
The Chair serves as the academic and operational leader of the PT department by providing effective leadership in the areas of accreditation, faculty development, student recruitment, quality improvement, and budget management. In this role, s/he will engage collaboratively with the faculty through curriculum development, research, service, and strategic planning. As a faculty member, the Chair will have the opportunity to teach and maintain her/his own research program. S/he will also engage in interprofessional activities across the institution's other schools/colleges (Osteopathic Medicine, Allopathic Medicine, Public Health, Pharmacy, and Biomedical Sciences) and with external organizations. As an advocate for the Department, the chairperson collaborates with the administration in implementing the University's mission to create solutions for a healthier community.
UNTHSC relies on a culture of values, integrity, collaboration, respect, serve others first, be visionary, and to create solutions for a healthier community. We develop and deliver these solutions in an interprofessional, team-based environment that promotes patient-centered care. We are seeking a senior faculty member who recognizes the importance of values-based leadership and whose vision is consistent with emerging health care delivery.
The candidate we are seeking is a senior faculty member who possesses strong leadership skills, teaching excellence, an established research record, and a vision consistent with emerging health care delivery who will build on the department's accomplishments and contributions in education and scholarship. This is a full-time, 12-month appointment, tenure-track/tenured at the Associate/ Full professor level. Salary and rank are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
* Ensures organizational values serve as the basis for departmental operations.
* Provides clear direction and informed decision-making.
* Engages in respectful and candid communication while encouraging open expression of ideas and opinions.
* Maintain the highest standard of ethics and compliance with federal, state, and accrediting body standards and regulations.
* Prioritizes development of departmental faculty and staff.
* Guides curriculum development to ensure it meets the needs of students and the profession.
* Develops effective strategies for recruitment and retention of exceptional faculty, staff, and students.
* Manages fiscal and administrative matters with transparency and integrity.
* Aligns departmental goals with institutional goals, in order to effectively advocate for resources.
* Promotes collaboration within and outside of the department/institution.
PT program curriculum and operations
* Provides leadership, direction, and administration of all aspects of the Department activities in collaboration with the faculty and staff.
* Responsible for development, implementation, evaluation and improvement of all teaching programs of the department, although specific activities usually are delegated to a curriculum committee and individual faculty.
* Supports faculty research and other forms of scholarly activity.
* Leads participation in the accreditation process.
* Responsible for the development and maintenance of effective department operations including efficient workflow, achieving student learning outcomes; ensuring appropriate faculty numbers; assuring curricular quality.
* Ensures Department participation in the recruitment, selection, retention and academic success of students.
* Serves on institutional committees and promotes faculty committee service, as well.
* Acts as the fiscal agent for the Department; directing annual budget preparation, completing analysis of fiscal status and implementing appropriate actions related to resource utilization, approving expenditures, reviewing reports.
* Delegates authority and responsibility consistent with faculty and staff strengths and interests, within the context of the Department needs and available resources.
* Works with departmental faculty to develop the departmental mission, vision, tactical initiatives and metrics that are consistent with the School and University's strategic and quality improvement plan.
* Assesses and reports on program metrics, such as faculty workload and scholarly productivity, student satisfaction, graduation rates, enrollments, etc. to assure program goals are being met; Uses data to help teams initiate, manage, and sustain the process.
* Offers original solutions to solve problems or develop opportunities. * Shows a drive for and works with a focus on continuous improvement.
Faculty Leadership and Development
* Leads the recruitment and retention of high caliber faculty and staff in the department.
* Coaches, develops, and evaluates faculty (core and adjunct) effectiveness; assigns work with a focus on a resilient workforce that responds effectively to changing programmatic situations and demands.
* Mentors and develops employees to maximize individual performance, build future organizational leadership, enhance teamwork and strengthen support of the organization's core values.
* Recommends to the Dean faculty members for appointment, promotion and tenure, and special assignments of workload consistent with the department, college, and university policies.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
* Earned academic doctoral degree (eg; Ph.D., Ed.D., DHS), as well as a license or eligibility to practice as a physical therapist in the state of Texas.
* Minimum of six years of full-time higher education experience, with a minimum of three years of full-time experience in a PT education program.
* Established record of excellence in teaching, with a defined area of professional content expertise.
* Established record of research/scholarly activity.
* Active involvement in the PT profession and understanding of key educational issues.
* Understanding of and experience with curriculum content, design, implementation, and evaluation.
* Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to engage in flexible, collaborative decision-making.
* Strong interest in faculty development and mentoring.
* Innovative vision and effective leadership skills to inspire teams to reach goals.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Previous higher education administrative experience as a leader/chair of an academic department, and/or academic program.
* Experience with management of personnel-related activities, such as recruitment, new hire recommendations, and performance evaluations; and overseeing departmental financial processes.
* Experience in strategic planning.
* Demonstrated record of success in recruiting and developing high-caliber faculty.
* Outstanding judgment and the capacity to set and communicate priorities.
* Skilled in productive conflict resolution and management.
* Experience with professional accreditation standards and procedures.
* Appreciation of new teaching methods and educational technology.
Scholarly and Professional Development
* Stays abreast of educational best practices, changes and developments that may impact the program through attendance, and developing professional relationships at professional conferences, seminars and local, state and national organizations.
* Meets scholarly goals and professional growth and development by active involvement in research/scholarly activities and keeping abreast of the latest trends in the profession, higher education and the health care environment.
* Promotes department's overall visibility and reputation locally, nationally and internationally by active participation and service in professional organizations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
1) A cover letter that includes a description of your leadership perspective
2) A complete CV
Confidential inquiries can be directed to Dr. Kirk Barron, chair of the search committee at [email protected]
A review of applications will begin June 17th.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Monday - Friday
Application Types Accepted
Occupational Exposure to HIV/HBV?
Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals?
Occupational Exposure to Tuberculosis?
Require a valid Texas Driver's License?
Require a certification?
If required, please list all certifications required for this position.
A Physical Therapist license or eligibility to practice as a physical therapist in the state of Texas.
Official Job Title
Chair and Professor
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled